foreign materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

memyselfandI

Recently we had a fire sprinkler head pop and there was two panels under it that got drenched. I mean they got a bath. The breakers inside the panel also got wet and they never tripped. We allowed the breakers to dry out and as of today we have had no problems with them. My question to everyone here is should I replace the breakers because they got wet or should I just let them be? My opinion and experience is to change them for fear of corrosion from the water setting in and seizing the trip mechanism inside, but some say that the breaker is sealed and there is an inhibitor inside that prevents corrosion. Fire sprinkler system water is NASTY, and it stinks of old oil and junk that builds up inside the pipe due to lack of use.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
NEMA AB 4 is pretty specific:
3.6 WATER DAMAGED MOLDED CASE CIRCUIT BREAKERS
Circuit breakers that are known to have been subjected to water damage, e.g., by flooding or sprinkler discharge, should be replaced. For additional information, refer to the NEMA document Evaluating Water-Damaged Electrical Equipment.
Both AB 4 and Evaluating Water-Damaged Electrical Equipment are available as free downloads from www.NEMA.org.

zog

Recently we had a fire sprinkler head pop and there was two panels under it that got drenched. I mean they got a bath. The breakers inside the panel also got wet and they never tripped. We allowed the breakers to dry out and as of today we have had no problems with them.

What do you mean by that? You mean they passed all testing?

My question to everyone here is should I replace the breakers because they got wet or should I just let them be? My opinion and experience is to change them for fear of corrosion from the water setting in and seizing the trip mechanism inside,

NEMA would agree with you, see above link from rblax

but some say that the breaker is sealed and there is an inhibitor inside that prevents corrosion

um, no they don't

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Sometimes you have to think about these things from several perspectives to come up with the right answer.

If these are expensive breakers, I might be inclined to pay someone to come inspect/test them and recertify them, or even to rebuild them.

If they are relatively inexpensive, rip them out and start over.

IMO, doing nothing, while the cheapest solution, is a bad idea.

You'd be surprised how little water actually gets into the inards of these kind of things from the situation you describe (splashing). Complete immersion is a different story. You do not really know if the things actually suffered any damage at this point.

fondini

breakers

breakers

I would replace the breakers and panel, any chemical on buss also negates ul listing.
The owners insurance will cover this if you supply the proper codes.

memyselfandI

What do you mean by that? You mean they passed all testing?

NEMA would agree with you, see above link from rblax

um, no they don't

The sprinkler head popped, meaning the little tiny piece of metal that is used to monitor heat came off and water started to flow.

Is NEMA a governing body or are they for reference only? Is it a requirement that we do what NEMA says or is there an industry concensus that dictates what procedures are neccessary when a situation like this occurs?

They don't have some sort of grease in them, around the switch mechanism to keep it moving freely?

Recently we had a fire sprinkler head pop and there was two panels under it that got drenched. I mean they got a bath. The breakers inside the panel also got wet and they never tripped. We allowed the breakers to dry out and as of today we have had no problems with them. My question to everyone here is should I replace the breakers because they got wet or should I just let them be? My opinion and experience is to change them for fear of corrosion from the water setting in and seizing the trip mechanism inside, but some say that the breaker is sealed and there is an inhibitor inside that prevents corrosion. Fire sprinkler system water is NASTY, and it stinks of old oil and junk that builds up inside the pipe due to lack of use.

I believe that is the same guy selling ocean beach property in Nevada. ;)

I never understood why people would spend such an effort to save a $3 dollar item, even if there are a bunch of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.