Flexible Cords

Status
Not open for further replies.
School auditorium has a suspended ceiling with a fully accessible catwalk in attic space to maintain house lighting.

The design engineer specified new LED fixtures to replace old incandescent fixtures.

Problem: New LED fixtures came with a factory installed flexible cord with a molded plug. The fixture cannot be modified to accept flex.
Local Inspector cited the installation; violates 400-8. (flexible cords above ceilings)

Question:
Can 400-7 (8) be used to approve this installation? or other ideas?
Thanks,
Tom

ron

I would guess that the catwalk above the suspended ceiling makes this a bit different than the traditional violation of cords above a suspended ceiling.
Are the fixtures temp clamped to the structure or permamantly affixed in place? If clamped, then maybe 400.7(A)(3)?

iwire

Staff member
I really wonder if these are UL listed fixtures and if they are what is the intended application.

Flexible cords are not generally found on fixtures that are intended for permanent ceiling mounting.

I think a lot of the new technology being offered for sale are from companies that have no idea what is required of electrical equipment installed under the NEC.

cadpoint

Ring up the designer and let them know of their problem!

Ask them to call the supplier and see if they could redesign their equipment to meet the requirements...

:roll:

Power Tech

Ring up the designer and let them know of their problem!

Ask them to call the supplier and see if they could redesign their equipment to meet the requirements...

:roll:

I agree! I would RFI them and throw it in their lap.

I am so sick of designers for Libraries, Schools, and community centers. looking in the catalogue and picking the most expensive fixture made.

Believe it or not, there are people that we pay large salaries to spend (waist) our money.

Don't bet they don't come back saying to run a 6" gutter on the catwalk.

I have found with public works jobs our money is wasted on ridiculous things.

Fight for change orders. Their #1 hobby is to make the government go broke.

The #2 hobby is to make you go broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.