Future of Power Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6SJK

The question was Power Engineering. Obviously you don't understand what it means.

Thanks Lazlo but I know what "Power Engineering" is. I have a degree in it, so all though I may not be an expert, I do know at least _something_ about it. I was SIMPLY pointing out that there are other flavors to designing power distribution systems that the OP might be interested in. Is that a crime?

mull982

I guess I'll clarify my OP with a little more information.

I currently have an EE degree and have been working in an industrial setting for the past 3 years. Prior to working in an industrial setting most of my undergrad work and early engineering experience was all geared towards computer, electronics, plc's etc....

After spending some time in an industrial setting I have been exposed to some pretty neat things such as very larger motors, a 4.16kV distribution system, projects with our owned utility substation, large VFD's etc...

Unfortunately I did not have exposure to this kind of stuff in school, since most everything was geared towards electronics (no power classes avaliable). I have now become very interested in such things as motor theory, power studies, and various other project that involve what I term as power engineering.

I am looking to migrate more towards this power engineering and pursure a PE with this concentration. Most if not all of what I am learning about this subject is coming from field experience however my background and degree has given me the foundation to build on when learning this field.

So I guess with my OP, when I was referring to the field of power engineering, I was talking about such things as load flow, coordination, motor applications, etc... And obviously there is a whole new up and coming field of effecient energy production with solar, wind, etc... I was asking what others opinion was on the need for engineers in this field in the future?

wirenut1980

Hi mull, I work for a utility and have worked in the utility field for almost 4 years. Everything that I am hearing points to a shortage of engineers in the next 5 years. I think you have all the tools to get at least an entry level position in engineering either at a utility or at a design firm. Here in Indiana, it seems like engineers are getting hired to fill in vacated slots, but not much beyond that right now. If you do decide to get into power engineering, I would wait 2 years before taking the PE in power if you can, since many of the questions on the test were based on knowledge in the field and not necessarily something that can be calculated.

It's a great field to be in!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I can?t tell from your profile, so may I be allowed to ask what area of the country you live in? That will make a big difference in the schools that are available and the job market as well.

For my part, I received an MSEE degree, with a concentration in Power Systems Engineering, from the Illinois Institute of Technology. I also continued my studies beyond the MS level. I took all the classes in the evenings. Some of the classes were taught in the main campus on the South side of Chicago, but were broadcast to remote campuses further West. So I could take a class without travelling downtown. I took two classes per semester, and one over the Summer session, and finished the MSEE in 27 months. Nowadays, many universities are offering Internet based courses, so attendance can be even more convenient.

rettich

Power engineering opportunities

Power engineering opportunities

Besides the utility end of the business there is the architectural engineering side of the business. We deal with facilities where the utilies drop off. Typically, 15KV and below. We design everything electrically within the facility- lighting, power distribution, low voltage systems (Fire Alarm, intercom, nurse call, etc) and perform short circuit/arc flash/ coordination studies for systems.
I have been in the business for over 25 years and it has been a very rewarding business. For a yound aggressive individual with the write experience and education, I think there is tremendous opportunities. The economy has hit us all and things are slower than they have been but things will come back and there will be a pent up demand for good enegineers.
Our industry is not the glorious electronic world, but it is very rewarding seeing a building come together that you were involved with.
In the midwest, some of the good power schools are The Milwaukee School of Engineering, Penn State, Kansas State, and kansas University. I have BSEE.

Thanks Lazlo but I know what "Power Engineering" is. I have a degree in it, so all though I may not be an expert, I do know at least _something_ about it. I was SIMPLY pointing out that there are other flavors to designing power distribution systems that the OP might be interested in. Is that a crime?

Laying out lighting fixtures and receptacles is NOT Engineering and definetly not Power Engineering work, it is design work. Although accurately calculating lighting levels when it goes beyond the 2-by-4 office layout, that should produce the optimal lighting can get tricky, so even that area is a fuzzy line between engineering and design.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
These courses look very interesting! Do you have to take this as a masters program, or are these undergraduate courses? Can you take just a class or two that you are interested in to gain further knowlege on a subject without enrolling in the full program?

I'm really not sure. The link at the bottom of the page does have some classes available through on-line learning, but it looks like there is a more limited selection there.

Steve

JayP

I am an EE in power, how I got here wasn't intentional.

As said by others, job market is promising for next 10-20 yrs.
I work in Boston area, formerly for large POCO now at municipally owned smaller place.

I recommend learning at big place then bailing after two or three years to a municipal system for better benefits & atmosphere.

Large POCOs are too big, too profit driven and in the end will being looking for a bailout too. They are a mess. I spent 18 yrs there and watched it fall apart from mergers & bad management - then mass exodus of talent.

Look around, there are more & more schools offering programs as they create alliances with area utilities.

Mayimbe

...someone supplies the energy.

Accountants run the world. But they are willing to pay plenty to those of us that supply the energy.

About twenty years ago I figured out that I was not in the electrical business - I'm in the energy business. And people will pay for energy.

cf

BTW, I wonder about the same question as the OP. Thinking off the top of my head (maybe that's been the problem all these years), power systems are not going away--electrical power usage has only increased and will continue to increase. Designing of systems will only get more sophisticated as higher efficiencies are demanded of the systems: efficiencies of materials, labor, and energy.

These two points of view are very objective are very much the whole true of what a power engineer will handle in their future.

As long the world is based on energy consuming people, we will be hanging around to satisfy those needs. And I think that I will die, and my sons will die and it wont change a bit. The only thing that may change is the way how we get the mechanic energy and the business that will be behind that.

Yesterday, a mechanic engineer asked me, when will be the day that we dont have to plug in to the electric system or utility? When is gonna be everything wireless? Is it soon?
My response was: Not in our lifetime, for sure.

What do you think? Is it possible?

Last edited:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Yesterday, a mechanic engineer asked me, when will be the day that we dont have to plug in to the electric system or utility? When is gonna be everything wireless? Is it soon?

I wouldn't hazzard a guess. If I ssy it's not possible, someone would prove me wrong :)

For some reason the "is it possible" question reminded me of something that happend a few months ago. Someone in a store opened their flip phone and started using it as a speaker phone.

It suddenly dawned on me how much speakerphones looked and worked like the communicators they had on Star Trek.

W6SJK

Tesla thought is was possible but went broke trying to prove it. There are wireless chargers for phones, PDAs etc but I don't think anyone has been successful beyond the mA level.

iMuse97

Whenever I hear this, I think about my grandfather who was born in 1904. They lived in a tiny house heated by coal (or cow chips), and if they wanted to call on the neighbors, they went over and knocked on the door. And they never traveled outside their own city.

And then I think of the comment attributed to the early 1960's IBM, where someone said, "There will never be a practical use for anyone to have a computer in their home."

Many things are possible now that weren't even dreamed of in 1904.

When I consider that only in the last few years has the energy business really gotten serious about the efficiency issue, whether that be electrical, hydrocarbon, radiant, etc., I wonder what sorts of innovations we will see.

I cannot now imagine several thousand kVAs wirelessly transmitted from one site to another except through an iron core. But sixty years ago they couldn't imagine even one incredibly powerful, palm-sized computer, and yet we all have them, because they are so cheap and easily made.

Until relatively recently, the main way to get more done was to use more energy. Now that efficiency has rung our bell, the next engineering and research leaps will focus on this. And we could use greater efficiencies in the areas of energy transmission and storage.

iMuse97

And then I think of the comment attributed to the early 1960's IBM, where someone said, "There will never be a practical use for anyone to have a computer in their home."

I checked on the origin of this quote, and it was not one of IBM's people, nor the 1960s, but Ken Olsen, president of Digital Equipment, in 1977, and the accurate quote is:

"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home."

I really don't like it much when people (me) don't check their sources. :roll:

Last edited:

zog

Tesla thought is was possible but went broke trying to prove it. There are wireless chargers for phones, PDAs etc but I don't think anyone has been successful beyond the mA level.

Sure they have, pretty limited but we now can light a 40W buld 40 Meters away with 75% efficiency. Our old grid is going to need trillions of dollars to upgrade in the near future, wireless power transmission will be a big part of that in the near future.

zog

Related to the operation and utilization of Wardenclyffe Tower was Nikola Tesla's work on a macroscopic particle beam weapon called Teleforce in the 1930s. A Wardenclyffe styled facility which included the weapon was contemplated by Tesla. He offered it to Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Company in early 1934. It was also offered to the US War Department, Great Britain, and Yugoslavia. A descriptive 17-page type-written document on Tesla's office letterhead titled, "New Art of Projecting Concentrated Non-Dispersive Energy Through Natural Media," which presently exists in the Nikola Tesla Museum archive in Belgrade, shows that his macroscopic particle beam, also dubbed the "Peace Ray" or the "death ray" by contemporary media, was a narrow stream of charged clusters of mercury or tungsten accelerated by high voltage, produced by either a huge Van de Graaff generator or Tesla Coil.

Immediately after his death, a component of the particle beam projector that may have been found among Tesla's possessions is said to have disappeared. Russian spies reportedly raided the room and the safe containing the schematics of the "death ray". The FBI never found any of the important parts of the schematics nor the trunk with the prototype, as far as existing public records show.

skeshesh

Oh wow I can't believe the "death ray" discussion actually made an appearance yet again.

Anyway I'm a young engineer and recently got my BSEE with an emphasis on power system analysis. Here in CA I have yet to find a decent masters program for concentrating on power engineering. Even my BS program was a bit lacking, since we had to concetrate on power electronics as well as transistor stuff. In one way I have to say the microelectronics background helps a power engineer understand recent phenomena related to microelectronic load (i.e. high frequency switching causing harmonic load, neutral sizing due to unbalance, etc.) In any case, I found a job within a week after graduation and work has been steady ever since while I know many other peers from school who had to deal with the economic meltdown. I definitly recommend getting into Power engineering, and the first step I'd say is to just go and get an entry level job since, as other posters mentioned, a 'university' education is very theoretical and you'll need to learn much in the field. I'm not trying to bash the education, since I think solid theory and skills of critical thinking and research, lab work, etc. are absolutely essential to being a successful engineer, but I really see no reason why ONE course with some basic information about commercial/industrial construction practices can't be offered. I definitly recommend, and myself will be persuing, a Master's degree to have a deeper understanding of EE. I'm probably going to have to move to a different state but am perpared to do so since I absolutely love what I do - but for now I'm going to get a few more years of exp under my belt (and pay off a good chuck of those student loans!) before I head for a Masters. But in any case, I think you should work in this field a bit first before deceiding exactly what you want to concentrate on in a Master's program.

Status
Not open for further replies.