Which parking lot poles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

I'm in the process of ordering 2 suare steel parking lighting poles from set of plans of spec. of Max Hight of 25' single 400W HPS fixture capable of wind speed of 110 MPH. Since Econolight, Lumark and Simkar list Wind speeds of 100MPH, the local elect. and bldng. inspector gave permission to use one of the listed poles. My question is there are two Thicknesses(Guages)-11GU(.120) or heavier 7GU(.180). and 4" or 5". Two suppliers quoted me for 11GU.-4"-20ft. I'm asking for knowledge from experience; would one or all options going larger 5" or 7GU or 22 ft pole be any better or a waist of money. If willing to spend extra few $'s. Owner is building 2' cement riser under each.

Thank You:
HR.

Cavie

you will need who ever spec the 110' poles to sign off on that. bases also have to be engineered to match the poles.

satcom

you will need who ever spec the 110' poles to sign off on that. bases also have to be engineered to match the poles.

I would not order anything until I had a sealed set of plans, with the specs. Some GC have plans that were never sealed, so check first.

hurk27

Here is the RUUD Lighting Spects for there PS series poles, we are not in a EPA wind requirment area, but if you look at the map on page 1 in this PDF you can see your area requirment, and RUUD makes poles for all of them:

PS series poles spects

select the PS-Crown-Weld? Steel Poles at the top of the page.

And you can order direct from RUUD, one of the main reasons we use them, there pole mount system are second to none that I have found yet.

Hope this will help;)

Last edited:

howardrichman

Well; I meet the inspector often, him and the blding inspector in a meeting OK'd the specs for 100mph poles. The job is of two miles to the border of those wind specs.
HR

howardrichman

Ask them to sign off on the spec change and see what happens. CYA.

Even if approved; for a better job; I could install either a 5" pole or a 7GU in place of the basic 4"-11GU, would or how would it make a difference ? 1st time purchasing poles.
HR

Cavie

Even if approved; for a better job; I could install either a 5" pole or a 7GU in place of the basic 4"-11GU, would or how would it make a difference ? 1st time purchasing poles.
HR

If you have proof that you "equaled or bettered" the spec, you should be fine.

220/221

Our standard poles are 4" x 20' from Ruud (e-conolight)

Good design, good products and good service.

It would have been nice though if they asked me if they could use our name when they started e-conolight. :roll:

econo-light.com

howardrichman

Thanks For Reply;
Those two and other pole and lighting companies offer two thikness guages-11 GU and The heavier 7 GU. Any problems sa. sway issues w/ the lighter poles? I may at a later time add a camera mount. for the customer.
HR

howardrichman

Thanks For Reply;
Those two and other pole and lighting companies offer two thikness guages-11 GU and The heavier 7 GU. Any problems sa. sway issues w/ the lighter poles? I may at a later time add a camera mount. for the customer.
HR

also; any preference of HPS lighting fixture -RUUD, or E-conolight; of which is one of the lowest price I've found for a 400W HPS shoebox. Is that a sign of poor quality of those fixtures,supports,and poles?

hurk27

also; any preference of HPS lighting fixture -RUUD, or E-conolight; of which is one of the lowest price I've found for a 400W HPS shoebox. Is that a sign of poor quality of those fixtures,supports,and poles?

Econolight is on the low cost side, and if I'm doing a high end job I will choose RUUD over them, but RUUD owns Econolight, it is there competition line to offer a low cost line of fixtures for the low end jobs, but for better quality I stick with the RUUD line, much better mounting systems, better quality, and better warranty.

howardrichman

Econolight is on the low cost side, and if I'm doing a high end job I will choose RUUD over them, but RUUD owns Econolight, it is there competition line to offer a low cost line of fixtures for the low end jobs, but for better quality I stick with the RUUD line, much better mounting systems, better quality, and better warranty.

Thank You very much; now i just have to choose the 11GU or thge 7 gu(heavier guage). The poles mounted in the 110 mph zone, but inspector OK'd the 100mph rated pole, considering only one fixture@ 20ft-4" sq.

HR

SiddMartin

heavier gauge may help you if they want to put banners up

*I have no experience in choosing poles, just an observation

highvolts582

just dealt with this.

just dealt with this.

I just put in some poles Check on the print if it says or equivalent when it specifys the pole. if it does you can go with what you want your supplier should have or get a wind chart provided to them from manufacturer. I used Rab Poles and they had cheap poles rated for 110 120 whatever. great prices . my engineer was stupid he spec. footing 3 feet out of ground cause of town requirements. and the town came out and was like what did you do that for. I was like engineer said it was required they said no but let it go. dont think the engineer Knows everything. they sure know how to spend money if you let them.

r_merc

Cya

Cya

If you are in a 110 then there is no way I would put in a 100 MPH Pole. Get a pole and fixture that is EPA rated for the zone that you are in. Just because the inspector says its ok... I don't buy it. Do it right and get the correct pole

hurk27

you might want to think of liability if the pole ever comes down, as others said, just because an inspector will sign off on it, its still your liability, I wouldn't do it, but its up to you, and your budget? insurance company's love to find this kind of stuff when doing damage claims. so be careful in your choice.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.