GFCI protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
A connex was converted into a shower unit. One side is lined with showers with the opposite lined with sinks. In the back of this container, in one corner is the water heater the other corner a shower, this unit is approx 10 feet wide. In between the shower and water heater, in the back, is an A/C unit hard wired into a single gang bell box. The conductors and splice are showing signs of moisture being present. My argument is this circuit should be GFCI protected, NEC 215.9 My bosses are saying no due to it being in a bell box and hard wired with wire nuts.
Looking for more clarification and documentation, I just see a very potential hazard that I personally do not feel comfortable walking away and saying this is good. Thanks again in advance for your input.

215.9 is an alternate method that is permitted, but not required for the feeders that supply branch circuits that are protecting receptacles that are to be protected by GFCIs.

See 210.8(A) 7 (B) for the specific GFCI requirements. Take a close look at the word "receptacle" when reading the requirements.

I dont see a requirment either, that being said, I would try to argue from the point of that the NEC is a MINIMAL safety requirment not the maximum.

You already know that moisture is getting in there, and this can create a dangerous situation. What if it was their family member in that shower? how would they wire it then?

nakulak

If this is a temporary installation, then read 590.6

try posting a sketch of the installation with dimensions. how is it fed ? I am wondering what sections apply ?

Grounding and Bonding is what I am verifing here, I just find other problems along they way. And yes it is good in this application. As to the safety, I am in Afghanistan doing this on military installations; I'm sure you all heard of the soldiers getting electricuted in Iraq. Hence me bringing this up to get better clarification.
A better discription: the connex is elevated up off ground about 3 feet, therefore the panel mounted outside about 2 feet off bottom of connex itself. The panel has a nipple from it to a two gang bell box inside the connex. This box is about 12" off floor, all conductors are pull throughs. From this box it has conduit up to the single gang bell box in question, this box is approx 5' off floor. With the tight confines of this connex; water heater in one corner, shower in other corner, and this installation in the middle. This installation is about 18" from outside edge of shower.
I don't think I will win the battle on this being a temporary installation, especially with the way this war is going. As to the code and recepticles, that is how my bosses are interpretting it; it is not a recepticle. As for me, I am not comfortable with it, and have it documented in my reports as such.

iwire

Staff member
If the grounding and bonding is good, and the unit is hardwired I see absolutely no safety issue at all.

I would definitely not install a GFCI on the feeder, that is asking for trouble. If I was going to install a GFCI it would be on the branch circuit.

Oh and I meant to say

Thanks

Thanks for your service to our country. :)

mcclary's electrical

Grounding and Bonding is what I am verifing here, I just find other problems along they way. And yes it is good in this application. As to the safety, I am in Afghanistan doing this on military installations; I'm sure you all heard of the soldiers getting electricuted in Iraq. Hence me bringing this up to get better clarification.
A better discription: the connex is elevated up off ground about 3 feet, therefore the panel mounted outside about 2 feet off bottom of connex itself. The panel has a nipple from it to a two gang bell box inside the connex. This box is about 12" off floor, all conductors are pull throughs. From this box it has conduit up to the single gang bell box in question, this box is approx 5' off floor. With the tight confines of this connex; water heater in one corner, shower in other corner, and this installation in the middle. This installation is about 18" from outside edge of shower.
I don't think I will win the battle on this being a temporary installation, especially with the way this war is going. As to the code and recepticles, that is how my bosses are interpretting it; it is not a recepticle. As for me, I am not comfortable with it, and have it documented in my reports as such.

If you're still concerned, you could slip on the 3m silicone wirenut covers. Once they dry, they'll be water proof. You could spray the box in question with a hose and not worry. (don't quote me on that)

mcclary's electrical

If you're still concerned, you could slip on the 3m silicone wirenut covers. Once they dry, they'll be water proof. You could spray the box in question with a hose and not worry. (don't quote me on that) but they are waterproof

Status
Not open for further replies.