color of wire in control wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris davis

I was pulling some control wires today and we generally pull 5 colors at a time and don't use brown, orange, or yellow. The supply house had some wire but didn't have enough to make all the pulls. They called back saying that they did have some b,o,y #14 I told them to send them and I could use one in some of the pulls. I know yellow in a control panel is designated powered from another source. But is there any thing wrong with pulling a brown, or orange with 5 other colors 950' for a on/off switch, motor overtemp, and a seal leak detector relay?

Also should we be using a white on the L2 of the seal leak 120v coil, or does everybody else consider it common and use the black wire?

aline

For control wiring I follow the NFPA 79 standards as shown in the attached file.
Wiring Methods for Industrial Machinery.

mkgrady

For control wiring I follow the NFPA 79 standards as shown in the attached file.
Wiring Methods for Industrial Machinery.

That seems like a good standard for manufacturers and it would be nice to carry that on in the field control wiring. However would you agree that much of that standard is not required of field installed wiring? I agree green wires are grounding and white or grey are grounded but the rest is up to the person doing the field installation (I think).

ohmhead

Well we pull all black or all red then you kinda put numbers on them lets say 14 awg stranded then number your wires .

There is no color code .

But most jobs use stranded wire 14 awg per spec as per the engineer .

I/O cabinets & motor control centers , generators , ats or most switchboards the factory wiring is gray or black or white stranded .

You can use any color you number it and use all the same colors but do not use green thats just your ground color .

It looks better if its all one color.

And tie rapped nicely with plastic nylon tie raps .

In your case yes white on the coil is fine if your wiring equipment that operate at what ever voltage rating use any color you want but keep it the same thur out .

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The majority of industrial type work I have been involved with uses tray cable, which the larger power cables have all black conductors which are numbered and possibly one green ground, or in most instances multi-conductor cables with conductors colored to ICEA Method 1, Table E-2 spec's, which has no white or green colored or color-traced conductors...

http://www.buyawg.com/pdf/http___www.buyawg.com_COLORCODINGCHARTS.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.