Self grounding receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

If one were to use a self grounding receptacle in a properly grounded, flush mounted metal box, would the receptacle's ground screw still need to be bonded to the box to be code compliant?

mark32

Thank you rcarroll, I overlooked that particular article. Thank you too Larry, but I hope I didn't give the impression I am clueless about grounding, I never considered a box should be grounded in the manner you described. In my post I purposely wrote "in a properly grounded, flush mounted metal box" to show I'm fairly well read on article 250. In this case the boxes in question have been wired in bx and up until now I thought I had to use a grounding tail for the receptacle, now I see I don't if using self grounding devices. Thanks!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I've noticed, even with self-grounding devices, better than 95% of the jobs I see have grounds attached to the devices.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thank you too Larry, but I hope I didn't give the impression I am clueless about grounding, I never considered a box should be grounded in the manner you described. In my post I purposely wrote "in a properly grounded, flush mounted metal box" to show I'm fairly well read on article 250.
You certainly did, and my apologies.

mcclary's electrical

Plenty of raised covers are not permitted for grounding, so if you're using an industrial raised cover, for a receptacle or a switch, you still need the pigtail. 250.146. (B)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
ok ,,,I take that back, Larry, I've been doing this for years on switches because of this. I thought I had read this. Couldn't remember where. Thanks Cowboy

What does 404.9(B) have to do with an industrial metal cover and a bonding jumper. Are you saying that one is required?

mcclary's electrical

What does 404.9(B) have to do with an industrial metal cover and a bonding jumper. Are you saying that one is required?

According to the wording, Yes

Shall be considered effectively grounded if either of the two conditions are met.
1) The switch is mounted with metal screws TO A METAL BOX, or to a nonmetallic box with integral means for grounding devices.

(We're mounting to a raised cover NOT A BOX)

2) An equipment grounding conductor is connected to an equipment grounding termination.

I say, unless your cover is listed for grounded, you have to go with option 2

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
If one were to use a self grounding receptacle in a properly grounded, flush mounted metal box, would the receptacle's ground screw still need to be bonded to the box to be code compliant?

Notice the OP said flush mounted.

Mark

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
According to the wording, Yes

Shall be considered effectively grounded if either of the two conditions are met.
1) The switch is mounted with metal screws TO A METAL BOX, or to a nonmetallic box with integral means for grounding devices.

(We're mounting to a raised cover NOT A BOX)

2) An equipment grounding conductor is connected to an equipment grounding termination.

I say, unless your cover is listed for grounded, you have to go with option 2

Where's the requirement for a listed cover in 404.9(B)? It says a metal cover with metal screws connected to an EGC. A metal cover connected to a grounded metal box wouldn't be compliant?

mcclary's electrical

Where's the requirement for a listed cover in 404.9(B)? It says a metal cover with metal screws connected to an EGC. A metal cover connected to a grounded metal box wouldn't be compliant?

IMO, the wording is IFFY.....the switch shall be considered effectively grounded when it is mounted with metal screws, TO A METAL BOX. That is not the case here. It's mounting to the raised cover, not the box.

Secondly, 404.9 (b) effectively makes you realize that THE SWITCH IS REQUIRED TO GROUND THE PLATE, NOT THE PLATE GROUNDING THE SWITCH.

Status
Not open for further replies.