2x4 lay-in retros'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
It pays to do all that work?

The government seems to think so.:cool: We're doing a retrofit right now in a library and also adding occupancy sensors as well.

Couldn't say what the labor rate was figured at though per fixture. If the ballasts are pcb type, you're really going to have your work cut out for you.

Do them on service calls solo in about 15-20 minutes, if the tombstones are good. Seems like alot more work to swap a whole fixture, unless they're rusty or damaged.
What's up with the pcb ballasts? Is it the whole disposal issue?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I just reworked a fabric store and we replaced 80+ lay ins. I thought it would be cheaper than relamping, new ballast etc. I think I figured about $110/ fixture but we did not have to dispose of the old units.

cadpoint

What's up with the pcb ballasts? Is it the whole disposal issue?

Well the DOE wrote an article here this is one of many that are on the internet via your favorite search engine.

The disposal law/rule for proper PCB's disposal has been around since 1976.

satcom

The government seems to think so.:cool: We're doing a retrofit right now in a library and also adding occupancy sensors as well.

Couldn't say what the labor rate was figured at though per fixture. If the ballasts are pcb type, you're really going to have your work cut out for you.

My point was it never pays us to try to rebuild, ballast change, and if you have plenty of experience with lighting retros you know it's good practice to change all the lamp sockets and upgrade the lamps, also for retro of replace, if the ballast is old PVC type, you have the cost and time of recycle, get a good laugh when I hear someone say they can change out layins in a flash.

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
For disposal, I use a company that picks up the fixtures, ballasts and lamps from the job site. All I have to do is stack them on pallets and wrap shrink tape around them. They charge by the pound, and I believe it's about $5 per ballast IF it has PCBs.

All of the above costs are charged to the customer. Not my expense.
It's a piece of cake, although it does have a lot of crumbs! ;)

satcom

For disposal, I use a company that picks up the fixtures, ballasts and lamps from the job site. All I have to do is stack them on pallets and wrap shrink tape around them. They charge by the pound, and I believe it's about $5 per ballast IF it has PCBs.

All of the above costs are charged to the customer. Not my expense.
It's a piece of cake, although it does have a lot of crumbs! ;)

Yes they send us a drum and all the paper work to ship it to them, they have a rate sheet for ballasts, and we just mark up the cost and pass it on to the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.