Vanity lights, range exhaust fans, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragin Cajun

Regarding vanity lights above the sink, range exhaust fans, bathroom exhaust fans, etc.

Am getting mixed signals from the field. Most jobs the electricians wire straight to the built in JB's which are part of the fixtures.

One inspector adamantly demands an outlet box in the wall before going to the fixture supplied outlet box.

I've seen it both ways.

Which is right? Code references?

Thanks,

RC

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I could see where the vanity light may require an outlet box however I do not see where a separate outlet box would be required for a range hood or a bath fan. I would ask the inspector for a code reference stating it is necessary.

mcclary's electrical

Regarding vanity lights above the sink, range exhaust fans, bathroom exhaust fans, etc.

Am getting mixed signals from the field. Most jobs the electricians wire straight to the built in JB's which are part of the fixtures.

One inspector adamantly demands an outlet box in the wall before going to the fixture supplied outlet box.

I've seen it both ways.

Which is right? Code references?

Thanks,

RC

The inspector is wrong,,,,it's illegal to cover a junction box with a flourescent light .,,,,but if you're taliking about a wall sconce,,,,and you're maiking joints BEHIND the fixture,,,,not IN THE FIXTURE,,,,,he's probably right.

Cavie

None of those things need a box if you ae using romex and have only one wire stubed out. Bath fan and hood fans jboxes are not big enough for two wires.

raider1

Staff member
it's illegal to cover a junction box with a flourescent light

You can install a fluorescent luminaire over a concealed outlet, pull, or junction box provided that the luminaire has suitable openings in the back that provide access to the wiring in the box. (See 410.24(B) 2008 NEC)

Chris

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can one wire directly to the J box which is part of the fixture, fan, etc.?
I always have, as has everyone I've ever worked with. I'll even wire fixtures without using a box if there's a KO.

In fact, most recessed fixtures usually have J-boxes rated for more than just the wires feeding that one fixture.

The inspector is the one who must provide a code section that supports his rejection, unless the instructions say.

mcclary's electrical

You can install a fluorescent luminaire over a concealed outlet, pull, or junction box provided that the luminaire has suitable openings in the back that provide access to the wiring in the box. (See 410.24(B) 2008 NEC)

Chris

Yes, you're right,,,,the lights I buy have a 3" hole in the back for that exact reason,,,,,but I was making the point that the inspector cannot say "all lights need boxes" A normal 2' strip, with a single 1/2" ko in the center, cannot be legally installed over top of a junction box. He's wrong to say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.