Another Head Scratcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky76

Relocated a cold switch fed J-box for vanity lite and the next week the H.O. says that the TV and alarm clock would go off for no reason. Also microwave clock would shut off, but that's on a dedicated circ. I go back and troubleshoot for 90 mins to no avail and nothing shuts off while I'm there. House is probably built in 50s -60s and 5 blocks from beach. Panel upgraded in the mid 90's. Any ideas?

wireguru

did you turn a breaker off when you did the work? could it be bus corrosion on adjacent breakers that were jostled when you turned off the circuit you were working on? did you open the panel? aluminum wiring? did you bump anything else anywhere? Is the microwave sharing a neutral with the other circuit?

mcclary's electrical

Relocated a cold switch fed J-box for vanity lite and the next week the H.O. says that the TV and alarm clock would go off for no reason. Also microwave clock would shut off, but that's on a dedicated circ. I go back and troubleshoot for 90 mins to no avail and nothing shuts off while I'm there. House is probably built in 50s -60s and 5 blocks from beach. Panel upgraded in the mid 90's. Any ideas?

Sometimes you have to really grill the owner. I had a homeowner tell me that after I wired her garage,,,,the bath fan upstairs quit working:roll:,,,,,my ppooint is this may or may not be true.

powerslave

Sometimes you have to really grill the owner. I had a homeowner tell me that after I wired her garage,,,,the bath fan upstairs quit working:roll:,,,,,my ppooint is this may or may not be true.

Exactly. Replace a GFCI in the basement laundry and two weeks later the garage door opener stops working. Or their cable goes out:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.