De-Rating SER for a residential service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question relates to using SER for a service in a single-family dwelling. I just had an inspector tell me that I had to de-rate SER because, in Article 338, Section II, 338.10 (B) (4) (a), in interior installations for branch circuits and feeders, SER must comply with Part II of Article 334.

In Part II, Section 334.80 it states that Type NM and NMC must be rated in accordance with the 60-degree column of Table 310.16.

I believe this ignores the intention of Article 310.15 (B) (6) and the accompanying Table 310.15 (B) (6) which allows, in a single family residence, the use of 4/0 Aluminum SER for a 200 amp service. The inspector will not allow me to use Table 310.15 (B) (6) and wants me to use the 60 degree column of Table 310.16 which requires 300 mcm for 190 amps (this qualifies for 200 amps using the next size up rule).

I see no exception in Article 310.15 (B) (6) and Table 310.15 (B) (6) that requires the SER to be de-rated.

I can see the reasoning behind requiring the de-rating for a feeder or branch circuit that supplies a load that can be operated continuously such as a range or oven but it seems the whole purpose of Table 310.15 (B) (6) is to allow for a residential demand factor.

We have been using 4/0 Aluminum SER for 200 amp services and 42 circuit 200-amp main breaker panels for years but now the inspector wants us to replace the 4/0 or replace the meter main breaker with a 150-amp breaker but only if the assembly is UL approved.

Luckily, Cutler Hammer uses the same bus in its 150-amp and 200-amp meter mains but the 150-amp breaker is well over $100.

If SER has to be de-rated for a service then why is it even mentioned in 310.15 (b) (6)?

The whole issue is even stranger because the 4/0 SER only supplies one of two panels in the residence. There is another 100-amp panel that is fed directly from the 200 amp meter-main with a separate feeder, and the 4/0 SER is only carrying about 60% of the calculated load

Has anyone dealt with this issue?

benaround

Redi,

The whole thing is based around the cable or the conductors carrying the complete load,

weather a service entrance conductor or a feeder to a dwelling unit. Like in your case, you

have two panels so you can't use the table. Why ? Because your 200a panel is only loaded

to 60%, but it could have been loaded to the max, this is why the table can only be used

when 100% of the load is served, there will have to be diversity.

robbione

derating SER cable

derating SER cable

I came to the forum looking for an answer to this very question. Florida just accepted the 08 code. I know that SEU cable will now have to be sized per the 60 degree column, but I was wondering about the SER cable we use for panel feeders. I've been uing 2/0 copper SER for 200 amp panels for years. I guess either we start using 3/0 copper or I start pulling thhn in conduit. Not sure what's more cost effective.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
This has been discussed and cussed here on the Forum since the birth of '08. You can search for previous threads such as :
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=114010&highlight=338.10&page=5
There are definitely two schools of thought on 338.10 vs 310.15(b)(6), and unfortunately, I think it will end up being a local jurisdiction option for you.
I work an area covered by at least 5 other inspectors and interpretation varies.

That is strange they are requiring the 60 degree chart. SE would be free air, so heat dissipation wouldn't be an issue. I can see if it run undergrond USE or in a conduit, but not free air. But I guess it all falls under AHJ.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I came to the forum looking for an answer to this very question. Florida just accepted the 08 code. I know that SEU cable will now have to be sized per the 60 degree column, but I was wondering about the SER cable we use for panel feeders. I've been uing 2/0 copper SER for 200 amp panels for years. I guess either we start using 3/0 copper or I start pulling thhn in conduit. Not sure what's more cost effective.

IMO, if the ser carries the entire load of the service then 2/0 copper is still compliant, however, get this, if you install an a/c off the main box- thus taking load off the indoor panel-- then you must use 3/0 copper. Bizarre but that's how I see it written. Personally I don't think you would ever have a problem with 2/0 in that scenario.

ceb58

IMO, if the ser carries the entire load of the service then 2/0 copper is still compliant, however, get this, if you install an a/c off the main box- thus taking load off the indoor panel-- then you must use 3/0 copper. Bizarre but that's how I see it written. Personally I don't think you would ever have a problem with 2/0 in that scenario.

I know some inspectors that will not fail it for this situation. There thought is you are taking some of the load off of the SER. Common sense, but we know that allways dosent work. Now had the OP done a back to back install ( meter to panel) with out a disconnect then the 4/0 would have passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.