Escalator Pit Light and Receptacle 620.23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a project with two escalators that run side by side. We have circuited the receptacles and lights in the pits to the same circuit. This lighting and receptacle circuit is separate from the circuit serving the motor. The AHJ is saying that this is a violation of 620.23. He is saying that each pit requires a separate circuit, in other words "dedicated".

I've never run into this before. I thought the intent of the code was so that power for the motor can be shut off without disconnecting the light and receptacle.

I've looked, but don't find a code definition for "separate" or "dedicated".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't quite follow the question. What is the inspector citing as the problem? Does he want the motor and the light and the receptacle to be on the same circuit? Does he want the light and the receptacle to be on different circuits? Does he want the light/receptacle for one escalator pit to be on a separate circuit from the other light/receptacle for one escalator pit?

Welcome to the forum.

He wants two separate circuits, one for each pit, to serve the receptacle and lighting. The pits are side by side.

Thanks for the response!

He wants two circuits, one for each pit, to serve the receptacle and light in each pit.

I currently have them circuited together, on a different circuit than either motor.

KevinVost

620.23 is for the control room or machine room. 620.24 is for the pits. The pit lighting and receptacle can be on the same circuit, however the lighting can not be on the load side of a GFCI. So if you fed the GFCI in the pit first, then went to the switch/light off the load side, that is the violation.

As far as two pits, are they divided? If all the equipment is not in one pit and there is a dividing wall/structure or seperate entrances, then seperate circuits are required (620.24).

mcclary's electrical

He wants two circuits, one for each pit, to serve the receptacle and light in each pit.

I currently have them circuited together, on a different circuit than either motor.

IMO,,,the inspector is misinterpretting the 620. 24 (a),,,,his interpretation is not the intent of the article,but even if he's got that part wrong,,,,,it's gonna be hard to meet the requirements of 620.53 with the setup you've installed, although it's still possible with a little changing.

KevinVost

IMO,,,the inspector is misinterpretting the 620. 24 (a),,,,his interpretation is not the intent of the article,but even if he's got that part wrong,,,,,it's gonna be hard to meet the requirements of 620.53 with the setup you've installed, although it's still possible with a little changing.

620.53 is for the cab lights/vents etc. The OP is installing an escalator and the question is based on the pit. There is no cab, so I don't see how this section is relevant.

But 620.24 if for hoistway pits, and 620.53 is for elevators. This is an escalator pit (not a hoistway) at the bottom of the escalator run.

There is not a sump pump, so all we are talking about is the receptacle and light.

I'm not sure I understand why the code would require a full 20 amp circuit for a 30 watt pitt light and an outlet. I do understand why they would want to have it separate from the motor, which I believe is the intent.

mcclary's electrical

620.53 is for the cab lights/vents etc. The OP is installing an escalator and the question is based on the pit. There is no cab, so I don't see how this section is relevant.

The article of 620, is for elevators,Dumbwaiters,Escalators, moving walks,Wheelchair lifts, stairway lifts.

620.53 requires specific location for disconnecting means for lighting,recaptacle and branch circuits,,,,,,here's the KEYWORD,,,,ASSOCIATED WITH ELEVATORS THAT DO NOT HAVE MACHINE ROOMS.......IMO,,,the word "ASSOCIATED WITH" includes the receptacles and lights in question.,,,,,again just because it says elevators,,,,doesn't seclude her. The whole 620 fits her app.

KevinVost

The article of 620, is for elevators,Dumbwaiters,Escalators, moving walks,Wheelchair lifts, stairway lifts.

620.53 requires specific location for disconnecting means for lighting,recaptacle and branch circuits,,,,,,here's the KEYWORD,,,,ASSOCIATED WITH ELEVATORS THAT DO NOT HAVE MACHINE ROOMS.......IMO,,,the word "ASSOCIATED WITH" includes the receptacles and lights in question.,,,,,again just because it says elevators,,,,doesn't seclude her. The whole 620 fits her app.

I understand your point. However if 620.53 applied to the pit lighting, then the pit light switch would require a "externally operable fused motor circuit switch or circuit breaker capable of being locked in the open position". (second sentence of the section) I have never seen that done for pit lighting, although I would not turn it down either.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Does he want the light/receptacle for one escalator pit to be on a separate circuit from the other light/receptacle for one escalator pit?
That's my take of the OP, and I believe the inspector is wrong. I saw nothing in 620 that says each pit's light and receptacle must have a separate circuit from another pit's light and receptacle.

Time to climb the food chain and speak to the inspector's supervisor. It wouldn't hurt to confer with the escalator's inspector, either. I doubt this is the first time this has come up.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
First of all, 620.53 is not a player. There are no "cabs" in an escalator. Secondly, 620.24 is not a player. There is no "hoistway pit" in this project. Third, 620.23 is not a player. There is no machinery room or control room in this project.

My conclusion: There are no requirements at all. Put in a receptacle, if you like, but you don't have to. Put in lighting, if you like, but you don't have to. Put the receptacle and the light on the same circuit as the microwave located in the kitchen area three floors above, if you like, though I wouldn't recommend it. There are no requirements. Period.

Regarding wasting a 20 amp circuit to serve only one light and one receptacle: no problem. Make it a 15 amp circuit. There are no requirements.

mcclary's electrical

First of all, 620.53 is not a player. There are no "cabs" in an escalator. Secondly, 620.24 is not a player. There is no "hoistway pit" in this project. Third, 620.23 is not a player. There is no machinery room or control room in this project.

My conclusion: There are no requirements at all. Put in a receptacle, if you like, but you don't have to. Put in lighting, if you like, but you don't have to. Put the receptacle and the light on the same circuit as the microwave located in the kitchen area three floors above, if you like, though I wouldn't recommend it. There are no requirements. Period.

Regarding wasting a 20 amp circuit to serve only one light and one receptacle: no problem. Make it a 15 amp circuit. There are no requirements.

Well,,,IMO,,,I feel as though that is a huge stretch. The article is not broken up into seperate elevator, dumbwaiters, escalators, moving walks, wheelchair lifts, stairway chairlift section. IMO, the WHOLE SECTION OF 620 applies to EVERYTHING IN THE TITLE. Since it's not broken up seperately once you get in it. I agree with you in a way,,,,,,but just because 620.52says "elevator" and not everything else in the title of the article, doesn't mean that it doesn't apply to everything in the title of the article. The wording is not clear.

Thank you all for your input. However, I don't agree that all of 620 applies to an escalator. Additionally, I believe that section 620.23 does apply to this pit as a "machinery space". The motor is located in the pit, making it a machinery space.

Thanks again for your input!

iwire

Staff member

I agree 100%.

IMO, the WHOLE SECTION OF 620 applies to EVERYTHING IN THE TITLE.

No, it does not. Each section applies only to what it says it applies to.

david

620.23 Branch Circuits for Machine Room or Control Room/Machinery Space or Control

Space Lighting and Receptacle(s).
It also includes Machinery space or control space

(A) Separate Branch Circuit. A separate branch circuit shall supply the machine room or control room/machinery space or control space lighting and receptacle(s).
Everything in the sentence is singular except receptacle(s) compare that to

III. Wiring
620.21 Wiring Methods.
(3) Within Machine Rooms, Control Rooms, and Machinery Spaces and Control Spaces.
I don’t believe there is grounds for saying the inspector is wrong

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
The presence of a machine (i.e., motor) does not cause a room to become a "machinery room." In several recent projects, I have had to provide power to "machinery-roomless" elevator systems. There simply was no place that met the description of "machinery room." The elevator motor was located at the top of the elevator shaft, and there was no separate room with additional equipment.

In the present case, the presence of a motor underneath the escalator does not create a "machinery room." So 620.23 does not apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.