Whats the most cost affective way to run underground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

Is it PVC? Is it rigid? is it UF cable? PVC is cheap, but you have to go deeper in the ground. Rigid is more expensive, but you don't have to go as deep, but more labor involved putting in together. UF cable is cheap, but you have to go deeper, and you get call backs sometimes. I would think PVC is the winner here?

gndrod

Is it PVC? Is it rigid? is it UF cable? PVC is cheap, but you have to go deeper in the ground. Rigid is more expensive, but you don't have to go as deep, but more labor involved putting in together. UF cable is cheap, but you have to go deeper, and you get call backs sometimes. I would think PVC is the winner here?

Depending on geological location and POCO requirements, AHJ adopted rules is the general guide before selecting what is installed. Using NEC and having a choice for long run laterals economy, USE direct burial in prepared trench sand bed wins over major costs of piping, and UF cable additional expense. Digging a trench requires the equipment so an added few inches of depth isn't going to break the bank on a backhoe or ditch witch cost. This is all said over an open spec involving service and outbuildings or well systems on an overall basis for running residential laterals. Harder terrain and soil conditions are the true factor. rbj

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Ran power to a well house this year and the ground was solid sandstone. Opted for RMC. Sometimes consideration of burial depths has its merits.

Every other time this year, last year, the year before that, and the year before that, and the...... it was PVC.

"More labor involved in putting together" ridgid is an understatement.

Last edited:

gndrod

Ran power to a well house this year and the ground was solid sandstone. Opted for RMC. Sometimes consideration of burial depths has its merits.

Every other time this year, last year, the year before that, and the year before that, and the...... it was PVC.

"More labor involved in putting together" ridgid is an understatement.

Sandstone must not be soft in CO...

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We don't have to contend with stone or rocks of any kind. Just gophers. We are allowed to use DB duct for most installations outside of the larger city jurisdictions. The conductors must be rated for direct burial and depth a min of 24". When the customer does not want or just plain can't afford the added cost, direct bury cable with a taillight warranty.

MarkyMarkNC

For short runs where it is not worth it to bring out a trencher, another consideration is wear and tear on my back. For short or complicated runs that mostly need to be hand dug, I opt for RMC every time.

Dnkldorf

Whats the most cost affective way to run underground?

Subbing it out to someone whose cost to do it, is less than my breakeven point.

220/221

No contest here. PVC all the way.

Even wrapped rigid gets rusty here. PVC will be in good shape 50 years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.