Estimate Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Power Tech

How many of you charge for estimates?

Got a call from a friend in the IBEW with a lead. He said he went over and looked at it and thought I may be interested.

Big house in a ritzy area, the husband is a lawyer.

Fire truck ran over 6, 120V light fixtures. Destroyed the stonco boxes and ruined the 3/4" rigid steel.

She wanted to buy all the fixtures (red flag).

She said there was only 3 fixtures that were broke (red flag).

She said that some still work. No power and nothing working (red flag).

He gave me the number and I called and told her I would be happy to do the work. I charge $135 for an investigation.

The estimate is free.

She said she would have to ask her husband (good).

1 phone call saved me many hours! I could smell the trouble.

Power Tech

You forgot two red flags: "lawyer" and "fire truck", regardless of your timing with those two events. :D

Ha, no I didn't. I just wanted to cut it short.

He was recommended by a man who used to own a company who is suing for a contract dispute.

He is a contract lawyer. Scary.

The fire truck was gone, I guess they were finished setting fires.:D

growler

Big house in a ritzy area, the husband is a lawyer.

Fire truck ran over 6, 120V light fixtures. Destroyed the stonco boxes and ruined the 3/4" rigid steel.

Sounds like an insurance job anyway. She needs a electrician to assess the extent of the damage and then call her insuance company. Her insurance carrier will then try to collect from the fire departemnt.

It won't do her any good to try to buy the fixtures herself unless she doesn't want to report this incident.

I would think this is big enough to put in a claim for.

Power Tech

Sounds like an insurance job anyway. She needs a electrician to assess the extent of the damage and then call her insuance company. Her insurance carrier will then try to collect from the fire departemnt.

It won't do her any good to try to buy the fixtures herself unless she doesn't want to report this incident.

I would think this is big enough to put in a claim for.

Called just now and asked if this may be an insurance issue.

She has already got the claim money and is now, 2 years later trying to find the cheapest EC in town to fix it.

She has had many electricians look at it.

$5K came out on a Freudian slip in the interrogation. I don't know if that was the insurance claim number or the highest electrical bid.

This lady is rotten.

I have to go wash my hands.:D

Dnkldorf

How many of you charge for estimates?

Everyone should and does.

It depends if you front load it or not.

Some want it up front, right away before anything gets done, and others include it in the final price.

Either way, your time gets compensated for.

Power Tech

Oh, yeah, the original question. :roll:

It depends on, among other things, the distance and how much I'd like the job.

This is 50 miles away. Not at the corner.

I have always charged, unless it is a referral. Got burned and insulted on a referral.

Now, even if it is a referral I will charge them.

I am finding out if something is free, people will see how much they can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.