Cover plate question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzVoltage

I have an installation which is requiring a combination of a A) Duplex B)single toggle, and C) GFCI Recep.. Installing in a three gang metal box.

I was wondering if I am going to have trouble finding a cover plate for this combination. First time I have had to install this assortment in one box. The Duplex opening is going to be used for a duplex-switch. So, there will be three switches total and one GFCI.

I haven't checked supplier yet, I thought I would ask here first. Thanks!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is the sweet thing about decora-- no messing with the combo plates. You may be able to buy the piece together plates but IMO they look horrible. I would definitely install a decora setup there. I also always try and determine if the setup I am installing has a plate to trim it. Special order plates are very pricey.

VoltageHz

For the stacked switch, I'd recommend the P&S brand. Their stacked switches get switched vertically just like the single decora that you install next to it.

Other brands make stacked switches toggle horizontally.

VoltageHz

That's a good idea. Good thing you didn't get a stickler for an inspector, I could see some of them complaining that the switch is labelled "UP" and needs to be installed that way :D

Out of curiosity, if you were installing new, why didn't you just install a 4 gang box? Not enough room between the studs?

480sparky

WOTT

Whats On The Truck:grin:

~Matt

If there was room for a 4-gang, but I didn't have a 4-g box on the truck, it's 100 miles to the nearest hardware store, and that's I needed...... I would have left the wires looped up in the stud cavity and returned during trim with a 4-gang remodel box.

TOOL_5150

If there was room for a 4-gang, but I didn't have a 4-g box on the truck, it's 100 miles to the nearest hardware store, and that's I needed...... I would have left the wires looped up in the stud cavity and returned during trim with a 4-gang remodel box.

You cant get a rough without a box, can you?

~Matt

AzVoltage

That's a good idea. Good thing you didn't get a stickler for an inspector, I could see some of them complaining that the switch is labelled "UP" and needs to be installed that way :D

Out of curiosity, if you were installing new, why didn't you just install a 4 gang box? Not enough room between the studs?

Its a small space between the door and the cabinet. At first I was installing a two-gang with just the duplex switch (for two lights) and the GFI (serving a 9" countertop). That was the plan. But, with the limited wall space in this application, we are installing the switch for the disposal in this box. Right above the sink is a window all the way to the countertop. So, no room here (above the sink) for the disposal switch. This is what got my gears turning for the added switch in the box. The toggle switch was going to be for the disposal. Standing at the sink, its within arms reach and the user can turn on the disposal, have access to the GFI, and control the lighting. Has anyone ever seen a decora style for a disposal?

480sparky

....... Has anyone ever seen a decora style for a disposal?

P&S has one specifically designed for them. Momentary on, so it can't be left running.

Cat # TM870STM__CC for the plain-jane Decorator style.
Cat # SRM870STM__CC10 for the Signature series.

Insert I for Ivory, W for White, BK for black and LA for Light Almond.

VoltageHz

P&S has one specifically designed for them. Momentary on, so it can't be left running.

Cat # TM870STM__CC for the plain-jane Decorator style.
Cat # SRM870STM__CC10 for the Signature series.

Insert I for Ivory, W for White, BK for black and LA for Light Almond.
You order those online? I'd like to get P&S devices but no local supplier stocks them, nor does HD or Lowes. I was hoping there was a large online vendor that stocked P&S, but all I found were smaller vendors who stocked limited devices.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd have countered with "But, the toggles are labeled 'on' and 'off', which are now correctly oriented." How could anyone argue with that? :)

This was in a bathroom, where there was a 1-gang switch box already, and enough space to fit a 2-gang, between the door frame and the big mirror.

We added a fan/light/nightlight combo to the existing single fixture over the mirror. They didn't want two 2-gang boxes, so this was my solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.