Gfi circuit breaker and lighting ckts

Status
Not open for further replies.

geokanda

I am doing a temporary lighting the engineer wants the incandescent lights on a gfi ckt breaker. When you go to turn on the ckt breaker it trips instantly. Any comments would help please

thank you

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am doing a temporary lighting the engineer wants the incandescent lights on a gfi ckt breaker. When you go to turn on the ckt breaker it trips instantly.
1. You do have the (correct) circuit's white on the breaker's white terminal, and the pigtail on the panel neutral bus, right? And no shared-neutral use?

2. Does the breaker stay on if the load black wire is disconnected? How about with both wires off the breaker? Have another GFCI breaker to try it with?

3. Try a standard breaker to make sure you have no shorts anywhere. Make sure neither circuit conductor is accidentally grounded somewhere with an ohmmeter.

iMuse97

short circuit somewhere? are you using porcelains? how about a bad connection with stranded wire, with a couple strands straying to ground? or to the neutral?

zog

I am doing a temporary lighting the engineer wants the incandescent lights on a gfi ckt breaker. When you go to turn on the ckt breaker it trips instantly. Any comments would help please

thank you

Is this a GFCI breaker or a breaker with ground fault protection? Can't tell from your post they are apples and oranges.

cadpoint

Since it trips instantly,,,I'd be willing to bet it's not wired correctly. If it were overload, it would at least take several seconds.

Well ok, I thought about it, I reckon... I know :) ... add that one extra lamp.

Dual duty GFCI - unintentional RECPT with light loads.

Some much can be left out sometimes in an OP (no offense).

Type of lamps, length of string, MWBC... Etc... :)

I'm going to go with a open short on the string, Rubbed open, or burnt open, which was already said.

Hey Be Safe out There!!! Happy Monday!

cadpoint

Well it's bigger than the engineer!

Here's an OSHA Refresher as to why the engineer said what they said.

I frankly can't remember ever being on the job and not worrying about or being with GFCI protection!

I broken them, tested them, nursed them, walked the job for them, and replaced them.

I'm going to do a Crazy Izan, and I'm out of here!, GO Eagles!

Power Tech

Well ok, I thought about it, I reckon... I know :) ... add that one extra lamp.

Dual duty GFCI - unintentional RECPT with light loads.

Some much can be left out sometimes in an OP (no offense).

Type of lamps, length of string, MWBC... Etc... :)

I'm going to go with a open short on the string, Rubbed open, or burnt open, which was already said.

Hey Be Safe out There!!! Happy Monday!

Like Mark said, unscrew the lamps and check the wiring with a continuity tester.

If this is a sub panel make sure the neutral and ground are separated and you have a good ground.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Aside from the obvious reasons given (short circuit, mis-wire, etc) are you using std. "A" bulbs or CFL's ? If they're CFL's that could be part or the total cause of your problem. In any case, I would start troubleshooting by unplugging the bulbs, turning on the GFCI breaker and see if the circuit holds. If it does, then start plugging in one bulb at a time and see what happens.

Aside from the obvious reasons given (short circuit, mis-wire, etc) are you using std. "A" bulbs or CFL's ? If they're CFL's that could be part or the total cause of your problem. In any case, I would start troubleshooting by unplugging the bulbs, turning on the GFCI breaker and see if the circuit holds. If it does, then start plugging in one bulb at a time and see what happens.

AMEN!!!!!
amen AGAIN

Based on your description, the first item I would check is for a Multiwire branch circuit supplying the receptacles and the lighting.
If that is not it, I would check for miswiring where more than one grounded conductor is tied into the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.