guest rooms in hotels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

Has anyone ever heard of having a master switch at the rooms' door that opens all lighting circuits but the bathroom. I never have, but it may be a local rule some where.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I might not be surprised if there was such a feature at the service acadamies (as in, "everyone get to bed, it's time for lights out"). But I would not expect it at a place where you pay to use the room. How did you come up with this question? Have you come across a building with this feature, or are you being asked to install this feature in a new building?

Hendrix

I might not be surprised if there was such a feature at the service acadamies (as in, "everyone get to bed, it's time for lights out"). But I would not expect it at a place where you pay to use the room. How did you come up with this question? Have you come across a building with this feature, or are you being asked to install this feature in a new building?
I was asked if it was required at a new Residance Inn that is being constructed in my city.
My reply was, not unless it's a local rule. I don't know yet why the question was asked. I'll find out.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Maybe they want occupancy sensors to extinguish all room lighting when the room is unoccupied.

KevinVost

Has anyone ever heard of having a master switch at the rooms' door that opens all lighting circuits but the bathroom. I never have, but it may be a local rule some where.

It appears in the International Energy Code. If your AHJ has adopted this document it is listed as:

Guestrooms: IEC 2003 section 805.2.2.3, and basiclly requires a master switch at the point of entry that operates "all permanently wired lighting fixtures" (taken right from the code).

Hendrix

It appears in the International Energy Code. If your AHJ has adopted this document it is listed as:

Guestrooms: IEC 2003 section 805.2.2.3, and basiclly requires a master switch at the point of entry that operates "all permanently wired lighting fixtures" (taken right from the code).
Is this in the new 09 IEC ? Never mind, I see it's 03. We haven't adopted it yet but we will adopt the 09 in Jan. of 10.
Thanks.

This is a copy/paste from the 2009 IECC.

505.2.3 Sleeping unit controls. Sleeping units in hotels, motels, boarding houses or similar buildings shall have at least one master switch at the main entry door that controls all permanently wired luminaires and switched receptacles, except those in the bathroom(s). Suites shall have a control meeting these requirements at the entry to each room or at the primary entry to the suite.

GPE

Thank you for the welcome, Hendrix. I probably won't be posting a lot here. Although I am a combination inspector/plans examiner, electrical is probably my worst subject. I visit here regularly though, and I learn a lot.

GPE

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So, it's just for the guest's convenience (and maybe increase likelihood of use), and doesn't require automatic operation (yet).

I wonder if they consider bolted-down table and floor lamps to be permanently wired?

KevinVost

So, it's just for the guest's convenience (and maybe increase likelihood of use), and doesn't require automatic operation (yet).

I wonder if they consider bolted-down table and floor lamps to be permanently wired?

I'm not sure of the exact reason, our plans checkers tell us it is for use by anyone leaving the room, gives them the ability to turn out the lights (thus providing energy savings) but it is mostly used by the cleaning staff. As far as I know it is only required to control the permanent fixtures, nothing with a cord and plug.

ivsenroute

This was in place for the 2006 IECC too:

505.2.3 Sleeping unit. Sleeping units in hotels, motels,
boarding houses or similar buildings shall have at least one
master switch at the main entry door that controls all permanently
wired luminaires and switched receptacles, except
those in the bathroom(s). Suites shall have a control meeting
these requirements at the entry to each room or at the primary
entry to the suite.

The International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) is adopted at the state or local level in 42 states plus Washington, D.C.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.