arc fault protection in kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

eeagleman

Is it required to arc fault protect a microwave and fridge circuit in a single family dwelling? I had a local inspector tell me it is required. Thanks for you input.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
No. NEC article 210.12 lists the places that arc fault protection is needed. Kitchens are not on the list.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

I agree with Charlie, the rules for AFCI protection are located in 210.12. Kitchnes are not one of the areas listed in that section.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
I totally agree with you gentlemen. Would love an electrical inspector thoughts about this. thanks again

Since I am currently employed as an electrical inspector;) My thoughts are that if the microwave and refrigerator are located in the kitchen then the circuits are not required to be AFCI protected.

Chris

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Would love an electrical inspector thoughts about this.
I can't imagine why. :confused: The book says what the book says, and nothing anybody else (including an electrical inspector) says matters. Have you looked at the article Chris and I cited? :confused:

gndrod

G or A...fci?

G or A...fci?

Is it required to arc fault protect a microwave and fridge circuit in a single family dwelling? I had a local inspector tell me it is required. Thanks for you input.

Could be the inspector might of meant GFCI? There is that possibility...but still not a requirement. Then there is the adjoining dining room GFCI-AFCI combination scenario with a nearby refrig? [210.12(B)] rbj

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.