Training on the release of a victim from contact of energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

quogueelectric

Ever do any cow tipping?

Breaking someone free would depend entirely on the situation and you'd only have a short time to act. Hopefully you'd come up with something. The most important consideration would be the path. In many cases you could simply grab them and pull them free without putting yourself in the circuit.

Yeah what about it??

Don S.

In the day when working on or around energized equipment (480V max) was more acceptable, having a partner with a plan was much better than having to figure out a life or death reaction at the moment of crises.

What could happen to the guy working live? What non conductive material is within easy reach if needed? How will I use it to free him without causing more injury? How will I avoid becoming a victim myself? Also the partner should be paying attention to the guy doing the work so as to warn him if he appears about to make a bad move, set a tool or material in a dangerous location, etc.

Don S.

In the day when working on or around energized equipment (480V max) was more acceptable, having a partner with a plan was much better than having to figure out a life or death reaction at the moment of crises.

What could happen to the guy working live? What non conductive material is within easy reach if needed? How will I use it to free him without causing more injury? How will I avoid becoming a victim myself? Also the partner should be paying attention to the guy doing the work so as to warn him if he appears about to make a bad move, set a tool or material in a dangerous location, etc.

zog

"A partner with a plan", exactly! Every time I walk a job and see energized work going on with a safety guy there I always ask:What do you plan on doing if he gets shocked?" Usually I just get a blamk stare from the safety guy and a worried look from the guy doing the work. Always have a plan, in fact, doing any energized work requires an EEWP and that permit requires you to have a plan for release of the victim.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
We keep one of these on our truck and in every MCC and Switchgear rooom in the plant. The use of the device is part of our annual qualification process for all qualified employees.

SAL-24401.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They could use the same kind of winch that movie stunt-men use to fly backwards when getting "shot."

It could even be triggered by a GF device: "Bzzz - WOOSH!"

Cold Fusion

"A partner with a plan", exactly! Every time I walk a job and see energized work going on with a safety guy there I always ask:What do you plan on doing if he gets shocked?" ...
I was about seventeen and the old guy I'm working with says, "You get tied up in that panel and can't get off, I can't help you - You're going to die."

I believed him.

cf

Don S.

They told us in the 60s that a 2x4 was the thing to get a guy off a live circuit. After giving it some thought, it's one of the dumbest ideas I ever heard from supposedly smart people.

mtfallsmikey

We keep one of these on our truck and in every MCC and Switchgear rooom in the plant. The use of the device is part of our annual qualification process for all qualified employees.

SAL-24401.jpg

Also...trying to remember the rules...if the hook-holder is within 6 ft., he needs to suit up just as much as the hot-worker?

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
They told us in the 60s that a 2x4 was the thing to get a guy off a live circuit. After giving it some thought, it's one of the dumbest ideas I ever heard from supposedly smart people.

I think the point is, if you haven't de-energized in the first place, you're going to run around like a chicken to do it now? Find something (an insulator) to help you free him. The 2x4 is a metaphor for an insulator.

JWinters

True story

True story

I was told a story from my E2, he said one day he was in contact with his hands in the panel and his body locked up. He couldnt yell to the other E2 there so he was able to walk up the wall and push himself off. As for the training there has to be DVDs on the net, or call local OSHA.

Status
Not open for further replies.