Installation of Uf wiring under vinly siding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
What I guess I meant was how will it be protected by nails or screws during installation of the siding?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I don't think that marking is a option in the NEC.
What if you replace the siding. Who will know where the wires are. You must provide protection from nails and fasteners!

hurk27

I think 300.4(E) will not allow this, While 340.10(4) allows it to follow 334 requirements when its not in the ground, and 344.15 allows it to follow the surface, but I believe if it is hidden behind a surface it would need to be 1?" back or it has to be protected as required in 334.15(B)

This a cement block building. concrete poured in blocks. I understand the physical protection part, but lets assume in was an interior wall in a residental home no physical protection is required beteewn studs and the romex wiring can still be damaged if drilled into by the non-tradesperson.

Thanks
jp

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
1.5" from the surface? Why not just run a pipe, put your insulation on either side before the siding goes on, wipe you hands on your pants and call it a day?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
it would be 1.5 inches from surface.
thanks
jp

So it goes cement block-->1.5" rigid insulation board-->vinyl siding?

If the vinyl siding fasteners extend through the insulation board into the block that doesn't seem like a good place to run cable? Regardless of what the code says about it...

Jim W in Tampa

If the vinyl siding fasteners extend through the insulation board into the block that doesn't seem like a good place to run cable? Regardless of what the code says about it...

Yes could hit a wire if not carefull but he has met code

hurk27

Around here they use 2" roofing nails or longer on siding, so it doesn't matter if the wire is 1?" back or not. but it meets code.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I am very curious how does this meet code. It is my understanding that the wire must be 1 1/4 back. If the wire is on the surface of the plywood or stud how is that possible. If the wire was fished after thn I would agree otherwise it's not compliant in my opinion.

iwire

Staff member
I think 300.4(E) will not allow this, While 340.10(4) allows it to follow 334 requirements when its not in the ground, and 344.15 allows it to follow the surface, but I believe if it is hidden behind a surface it would need to be 1?" back or it has to be protected as required in 334.15(B)

No such NEC requirement unless it is within 1.25" of a framing member.

Status
Not open for further replies.