Portable generator grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am building a portable skid that will have a 60 kW generator on it. It will be transported by flatbed then set on the ground. The output breaker will be 480V 3-phase 125A.

Am I required to ground the skid per 250.66 or am I only required to bond the generator to the skid?

Thanks

Portable generator?

Portable generator?

I guess this qualifies as a portable generator not a vehicle -mounted generator? If everything mounted on the skid qualifies as generator mounted I guess 250.34(A) applies, but I am not sure.

hurk27

We have a company here that runs around dropping skid mounted generators to supply business with temp power when a storm has done a lot of damage to the power grid and cant get power back on for a while, they have them on heavy I beam skids and have a pin and sleeve quick connects that tie into the load side of the affected service, they bond the generator frame (which is bonded to the neutral) to the building grounded electrode system via a 250.66 sized conductor.

Is this kind of what your asking?

Rewire

I am building a portable skid that will have a 60 kW generator on it. It will be transported by flatbed then set on the ground. The output breaker will be 480V 3-phase 125A.

Am I required to ground the skid per 250.66 or am I only required to bond the generator to the skid?

Thanks

I believe for this application I would follow 250.35

more information

more information

All the equipment that it serves will also be located on this skid. There will also be a transfer switch for connection to shore power. I guess my main question is do I bond the generator casing to the trailer frame and bring that ground to the transfer switch and bond the neutral and the ground together there?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.