terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stranded conductors terminated on the binding screws is not restricted by the NEC.
110.3(B) - listing is where you will find this info. Check the manufacturer to make sure the one you are using is not restricted by the manufacturer.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Rosie, welcome to the forum! :)

can #12 stranded wire be used on a binding post of a receptical and where in the code does it list it
This has been discussed at length here before, and as expected, opinions vary widely. Yes, it's perfectly legal to use stranded on screw terminals.

Some suggest leaving a bit of insulation on the tip of the wire, some suggest reverse strand twisting, and some even suggest pigtailing with solid.

I find pinching the loop closed with needle-nose pliers while tightening the screw works just fine. Back-wired clamp-type terminals are the best bet.

Besoeker

I find pinching the loop closed with needle-nose pliers while tightening the screw works just fine. Back-wired clamp-type terminals are the best bet.
I'd always terminate the wire with a compression type lug.
Terminating bare wires under a screw terminal wouldn't impress our customers.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
can #12 stranded wire be used on a binding post of a receptical and where in the code does it list it
If the device is UL listed it must accept stranded wire.

From the UL White Book RTRT for receptacles:
Terminals of the wire-binding screw, setscrew, or screw-actuated back wired clamping types are suitable for use with both solid and stranded building wires.

Last edited:

Besoeker

You mean like a StaKon?
I'm not familiar with Sta Kon products.
This for kind of thing small wiring:
RingCrimp02.jpg

For larger conductors we use compression lugs like these and sleeve them with heatshrink to identify phases.

Compressionlug.jpg

I'm not familiar with Sta Kon products.
This for kind of thing small wiring:
RingCrimp02.jpg

For larger conductors we use compression lugs like these and sleeve them with heatshrink to identify phases.

Most all devices that I am aware of are listed as suitable for stranded conductors.
Only 1 that I am aware of is listed as suitable for the use of Stakons for termination on the wirebinding screw.
The rest are not.

Besoeker

Most all devices that I am aware of are listed as suitable for stranded conductors.
Many we use are also suitable for bare wire.
But our customers don't like it. Often, their specifications categorically proscribe it.

I don't like it either. The crimped joint is just so much neater. And, I think, better. All our crimp tools are tested and certified regularly on a rig that applies tension (at least 20kg) to a number of joints the tool makes. I'm not sure that bare wire connections would routinely pass such a test.

Status
Not open for further replies.