Feeding garage with one branch circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks2000

I will be feeding this detached garage with just a brach circuit so I know I don't need a disconnect, my question is between the house and garage there is a concrete sidewalk. So with out damaging or ripping out the sidewalk, what are my options, I'm stumped??

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Can you dig down on each side of the sidewalk or does one side butt against the house ?

bobsherwood

Between the house and garage? We have been known to attach a piece of PVC to a garden house and bore under the side walk. It usually does a good job and only takes a few minutes. If your running direct buried, leave the PVC "sleeve" in place.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Yes, one side butts up to garage.
makes it a bit more challenging.... Most often I see saw cuts, but you can drill down against the garage and use Bob's idea to feed a cable under the sidewalk to your "hole". Fun and very rewarding when it words well....:grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As I posted in the other thread, I've used a long flex-bit for boring under sidewalks. Just drill through the dirt and pull the wire back with the little hole in the end of the bit.

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
By the way, it's a detached building, so you will need to put in small subpanel, or a disconnect switch.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
No, only if its more then one branch curcuit!
Yes, you must install a disconnect... additionally, you are only permitted one circuit (though a mwbc or feeder only counts as one).

ARTICLE 225—OUTSIDE BRANCH CIRCUITS AND FEEDERS

II. More Than One Building or Other Structure

225.31 Disconnecting Means.
Means shall be provided
for disconnecting all ungrounded conductors that supply or
pass through the building or structure.

225.32 Location. The disconnecting means shall be installed
either inside or outside of the building or structure
served or where the conductors pass through the building or
structure. The disconnecting means shall be at a readily
accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors.
For the purposes of this section, the requirements
in 230.6 shall be utilized.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with the other that a disconnect is required but in your case a single pole switch is all that is necessary.

I would also drill from inside the garage at a 45 degree angle to the outside under the sidewalk-- if it lays out that way and then try and undermine the sidewalk in the manner talked about by the others trying to line the holes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.