lights in shower/bathtub enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwoods

I would like to know if article 551.53B covers regular dwellings or does it just pertain to receational vehicles and recreational vehicle parks?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
551 is RVs, for "regular dwellings" see 410.10
(also 110.3(B) Manufacturers' instructions)

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

As Gus points out Article 551 only applies to recreational vehicles and RV parks.

Chapter 5 is titled special occupancies. The articles and rules found in Chapter 5 supplement or modify the general rules found in Chapters 1 through 4. (90.3)

Chris

jimwoods

My original question was in regards to article 551.53B. I will give more details about that question. Article 551.53B states that the luminaire (lighting fixture) "shall be ground-fault circuit-interrupter protected." I would like to know if this applys to regular dwellings and not just RV's? Article 410.4D (Bathtub and Shower Areas) makes no mention of GFIC protection. Article 210.70A1 says nothing about GFIC proctection. Article 550.14D has no reference to GFIC protection. Which brings me back to my original question, does article 551.53B include regular dwellings or not. The jurisdicition I've worked in for the past 35+ years requires GFIC protection for these fixtures. I did not argue with them (or ask what article required that), I merely complied. Now, I would like to know for my own information.

raider1

Staff member
No, 551.53(B) does not apply to a single family dwelling unit.

Unless the manufactures installation instructions require the luminaire to be GFCI protected when installed in or above a tub or shower space the NEC does not require this for a single family dwelling unit.

Chris

jimwoods

My original question was in regards to article 551.53B. I will give more details about that question. Article 551.53B states that the luminaire (lighting fixture) "shall be ground-fault circuit-interrupter protected." I would like to know if this applys to regular dwellings and not just RV's? Article 410.4D (Bathtub and Shower Areas) makes no mention of GFIC protection. Article 210.70A1 says nothing about GFIC proctection. Article 550.14D has no reference to GFIC protection. Which brings me back to my original question, does article 551.53B include regular dwellings or not. The jurisdicition I've worked in for the past 35+ years requires GFIC protection for these fixtures. I did not argue with them (or ask what article required that), I merely complied. Now, I would like to know for my own information.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I my have forgotten an odd fixture or two, but as a general rule, the only bath shower fixtures I have seen where the mfg. required GFCI were light/fan units with a metallic baffle.
The local jurisdiction can have it's own requirements.
I would certainly ask. It's not a "challenge" if you are asking to learn.
(not that a challenge would be a bad thing)
Even after many years of inspecting, I have found through a good question, that my interpretations or memory have been incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.