How do you handle this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky 134

I have a few people I consider to be close friends and I will help them with pretty much anything including tools.

I had a friend, not a close one, build a new garage. I went there to disconnect the 100amp service and when he was ready for pipe/wire I sent one of my guys over there for most of the project. I was there for about two days. Now this is a 3 car, 1.5 story garage that he will be using to fix cars in his spare time. He does charge people to fix said cars.

So when we were finished I gave him a bill for around $3000.00. I covered my costs and had about a 5% markup. Well, you would have thought the bill was $30,000.00.

"Wow! I had no idea it would be this much. It's going to take me a while to get that kind of money together. Wow!"

Right then and there I regretted ever taking the job. I did get paid and we are still friends but unless you run your own business you just don't understand the costs of doing so.

I have another friend who I would do anything for. I have done a lot of electrical work in his house and he has fixed my cars on many occasions. We typically end up buying each other dinner as 'payment'.

My own brother borrowed an orbital buffer to wax his car. I got it back years later when I was helping him move. We were packing up his garage (because it wasn't done prior to the moving date but that's another rant) when I found it.

"This is my buffer."

"Oh yeah, I'm done with it."

aline

If you had a tool that was on its last legs, would you expect them to buy you a new one if it broke while they were using it? And how would you know for sure that a tool wasn't on its last legs?
Yes I would.
I'm not forcing them to borrow the tool.
If they want to borrow the tool that's the risk they take.
If they don't want to take that risk then don't borrow it.
They can always go rent the tool.

I hate borrowing anything from anyone.
I don't want to be responsible for it if it breaks.
I'll either rent it or buy it.

Last edited:

sparky_magoo

Years ago, I spray painted a 5 gallon bucket full of old hand tools pink. I was a foreman at the time. When someone on my crew would show up without sidecutters, etc., I would loan him a blown out pair of pink Craftsman dikes.

Even if it was only to remove one fastener, I would goto my truck to get a beat up pink screwdriver before I would loan out my Klein.

It might sound harsh, but I have found people who won't buy quality tools, don't respect borrowed tools.

I really resent employers who demand I loan my tools to get the job done. I lost my temper when I found my Klein ratcheting cable cutter laying in the dirt on a large outdoor cable pull.

Power Tech

When I was dating my now wife, I borrowed an ice chest from her father.

Bears tore it up and I bought him a new one, He kept the old one?:roll:

When they were moving he told me I could dig all the plants I want in the garden. Picked up a shovel and crack, I swear he rigged that. $24

Went to Yellowstone and met them there, borrowed a bow saw for some firewood, bing goes the blade.

On the other end found my sawsall at my brothers house in the backyard in the weeds. Edger came back from the neighbor with the pull string hanging on the handle.

I hope I have learned by now not to borrow and loan.:-?:-?

Oh well, I dont have to take this. I'm going fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.