Gfci humming

Status
Not open for further replies.

viclibo

One of my clients called me to tell me her GFCI's in the kitchen were humming. I asked her what song were they humming ( all joking aside ). I have not been out to see yet but does anyone have some thoughts?
Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JWinters

My take.

My take.

Ive heard breakers in the electrical panel have a hum under a load. But the closest thing to noise from a GFCI outlet is a studer from the reset button, and it makes a noise if its not prest firmly in.

cadpoint

Other than just replacing it!

IMO

Sure it's time for 50 questions! Seriously...

When did it start?

What was plugged in?

What was changed with respect to usuage of equipment?

Any odd things done around the house lately.

Ask the Age of it?

On and on, Etc, Etc...

Note if an Ham Radio's arounds, or if a neighbor install wireless anything, lately.

dbuckley

I'm just disappointed that the OP stole the opportunity for someone to do the old "humming because it didn't know the words" quip...

On a slightly more serious "note" (!), GFCIs have balance detecting transformers inside them, and its conceiveable (or maybe even likely) that there's the source of the humming, but I'd have thouight it would only occur under load, and given I've never heard one of these things hum, I'd wonder what sort of load could induce a balance transformer to make a racket...?

Mr.Sparkle

I'm just disappointed that the OP stole the opportunity for someone to do the old "humming because it didn't know the words" quip...

I am disappointed that I saw this thread and thought the exact same thing, then I became even more disappointed when I realized someone else beat me to pointing out how disappointed I was when I saw this thread and thought the exact same thing, then I became even more disappointed when I realized someone else beat me to pointing out how disappointed I was when I saw this thread and thought the exact same thing, then I became even more disappointed when I realized someone else beat me to pointing out how disappointed I was when I......whoa.......I have just invented a mobius post.

One of my clients called me to tell me her GFCI's in the kitchen were humming. I asked her what song were they humming ( all joking aside ). I have not been out to see yet but does anyone have some thoughts?Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am new here so I would like to say hello to everyone. Great site.

The sound you hear maybe the reset button sticking, either because the gfi
is bad (wiring or old) or something downstream is faulty and trying to reset it
will make a buzzing noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.