Emergency Light in single toilets in recreation Facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
I am not aware of any codes that require emergency lighting for a single person toilet.

It is a good design but not likely a code requirement.

Chris

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
In my local town, they always require them in every toilet room (except residential.).

They have shown me a IBC code reference that I don't understand. It says something like every "exit access" or every "exit" or something needs em lighting, or something like that.

Anyhow, I'd check with the local AHJ.

Steve

raider1

Staff member
I agree with checking with the local AHJ.

IBC section 1006.3 has the requirements for emergency illumination requirements for means of egress.

In the event of power supply failure, an emergency electrical system shall automatically illuminate the following areas:

1. Aisles and unenclosed egress stairways in rooms and spaces that require two or more means of egress.

2. Corridors, exit enclosures and exit passageways in buildings required to have two or more exits.

3. Exterior egress components at other than the level of exit discharge until exit discharge is accomplished for buildings required to have two or more exits.

4. Interior exit discharge elements, as permitted in Section 1024.1 in buildings required to have two or more exits.

5. Exterior landings, as required by Section 1008.1.5, for exit discharge doorways in buildings required to have two or more exits.

Unless the restroom is large enough to require 2 exits the restroom is not required to have emergency lighting according to the IBC.

Chris

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am not certain what the building codes say on this subject. As a matter of normal design practice, however, my rule of thumb is that a person can be expected to get from the inside of the room they are in to a hallway that will, eventually, get them out of the building. You do need to light the exit path from the hallway to the outside world. But you don't need to light the exit path from a room to that hallway. This changes, if it is a large room, or a room with many obstacles. For example, an auditorium would need exit lights, since many people will need to travel to the exit doors. Also, a warehouse would need exit lights, since a person might be working between two rows of storage shelves, and would need help finding the door out of the warehouse. But I would not put an exit light in a single-occupant bathroom, since I believe a person should be able to feel their way to the exit door without a light.

That said, I may add more exit lights than this rule of thumb might call for, if I felt it would enhance safety. But that is a design issue that goes beyond what I believe to be the code minimums.

raider1

Staff member
Yes, as a municipal inspector our department gets an electronic copy of all the I-codes.

HERE is a link to the ICC store where you can download an copy of the eCodes.

Chris

Mr. Bill

Common public areas without windows would need emergency lighting. I don't have the exact text in front of me from the IBC. I had an inspector once telling me all of the things I needed in a single occupant toilet because of this. I looked up the definition of common public space and it required multiple people. I showed that to him and he backed down. I only show emergency lights in group toilets. While emergency light in a single occupant toilet would be nice in many ways it is not required for saving your life to get out of the building. That's all emergency egress lighting cares about, getting you out of the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.