Beam bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

DARUSA

Wich sise of wire I have to use to bond the steel frame of the building for a 7000amps service? I tought # 4 is the m?ximum size Wire required.Is it correct?.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If this is the structural steel frame of a building that qualifies as an electrode you'll need to use Table 250.66. It's bigger than #4 which is the maximum required for a CEE.

DARUSA

250.66 is based on the CM of the service entrance wire that means I will have to runn a 3/0 wire.Another question is how can I terminate it to the Beam?
Is it a special connector for that?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
250.66 is based on the CM of the service entrance wire that means I will have to runn a 3/0 wire.Another question is how can I terminate it to the Beam?

That's correct, the largest conductor listed in that table is #3/0 for a GEC to building steel.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

The most common thing I have actually seen used is a beam clamp. I have always had my doubts about it being code though.

raider1

Staff member
The most common thing I have actually seen used is a beam clamp. I have always had my doubts about it being code though.

The problem that I have with beam clamps is the 250.8 requires the means used to attach the GEC to the electrode to be listed for the purpose and I have never seen a beam clamp that is listed for grounding.

Chris

kstanton5

A #4 ithe minimum required for the concrete encased electrode,not maximum. To the best of my knowledge there is no maximum.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A #4 ithe minimum required for the concrete encased electrode,not maximum. To the best of my knowledge there is no maximum.
Of course you may use larger than #4 but you are only required to use a gec that is not larger than #4. For a 100 amp service you can use smaller but in no case are you required to run larger than #4.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

According to 250.66(B) the GEC to a CEE "shall not be required to be larger than 4 AWG copper wire." So #4 is the maximum required. You could always use a larger size if so choose.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The problem that I have with beam clamps is the 250.8 requires the means used to attach the GEC to the electrode to be listed for the purpose and I have never seen a beam clamp that is listed for grounding.

Chris
Won't get any argument from me on that one. Just telling you what I have seen used. For some people the extra couple minutes required to drill a hole for a lug is just too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.