What can I bring in room at test time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my test at Green county tech in paragould Arkansas. This was through a company called Prov. When i took my journeyman it was through a different company called prometric in Memphis Tenn. Anyway on both test all i could bring was my code book, two number two pencels and they usually will supply those if you dont have them, and a non programmable calculator. they will give you two blank pieces of scrap paper and you have to turn them in when the test is over. They will look through your code book for any papers thast are not supposed to be in there or notes written in the book. In Memphis i was in a little room with a camera pointed on me and in Paragould i was in a classroom with other people taking electrical test but there was a classroom monitor in there watching everybody. Just dont let either one bother you. Take your time. I did the journeyman in two hours and fifteen minutes and even took a smoke break after an hour. But the master test took me the whole three hours. Either way you'll know about half way through that you will pass. Good luck

boku0003

also

also

Well, food and beverage too. But that's it. They supply all literature, paper, pencil. I'd suggest bringing a pencil sharpener. Just a small cheap one. They gave us number 2 pencils, so it helped being able to sharpen it on the spot as opposed to having to get up several times.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
In Washington you can take any trademarked book into the test.
The test is open book, but the idea is to test you on subjects you have not dealt with before, to see if you can find the information.
For example in my classes, we discuss a change in the 2008 NEC on J-box sizing for large conductors, I don't cover the changes in detail, but just make sure the student knows where to look up the material in the NEC.

nyhockey

Wow,
19 years ago NYC at the time was in a school and no books
17 years ago in NJ the test was in a hotel with a couple of 100 others taking all different test. I had 4 hours for code with my code book, then 2 hours on NJ law again with my Law book.
4 years ago Westchester in a Hotel with others and my Code Book.

sparky=t

nebraska

nebraska

nebraska, you may use the handbook, the nebraska act, and the ohms law wheel, your calculator........ colorado you can bring a calculator (i believe ) it has changed in 18 yrs

cs2to4

Are you allowed to bring a formula wheel? If not, what's the best way to memorize the formulas? Do you need to know all 12?

Stopmoving

The formulas are not that hard to remember.

If you can remember E=IR and P=IE you can work out six of them right of that bat:

E=IxR I=E/R R=E/I

P=IxE E=P/I I=P/E

Notice how the term on the left of the equal sign in the first one always goes on top of the division problem for the other two. This applies to the third and fourth set as well.

The third set isn't too bad either:

P=I^R R=P/I^ and the last I^=P/R which means that I=sqrt(P/R)

The last set is kind of tricky.

E=sqrt(PxR) which means that E^=PxR so P=E^/R and R=E^/P

If you can remember the four that are bold, you can work out the rest.

Last edited:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
when i took my test in California, they did not allow anything. (NO wrist watch, phone, pencils, pens, papers, wallet, keys, hat,) except myself , my clothes that i had on, shoes and prescription glasses.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
True but they do provide the code books for you. Just wanted to make sure people didn't think we were so smart we could take the test without a code book. :grin:

Huhhhhhh, they gave you a code book?

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.