Thinking outside the box....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I have a situation where I have a single gang switch box flush mounted in concrete and I need to add an extension so I can run, on the surface, some 1/2" conduit for some added receptacles. I would like to have more room in the extension that just a regular handy box extension.

One thought I have is to take a 4? sq extension and attach a single gang mud ring and turn it so the attach mud ring attaches to the existing switch box. Then I would have more room and the there would be a ?back? to the 4? sq extension.

Any other thoughts are welcomed.

raider1

Staff member
How about using one of these;

0187f.jpg

HERE is a link to the Raco catalogue.

Chris

cadpoint

A couple of thoughts come to mind real quick with this situation!

If this is a large classroom or in a true school, most time the lighting load on the circuit is usually completely loaded up to 80% depending on the wattage.

Depending on the usage of the extended circuit what will this do to the existing service?

The second thought, where is the closest neutral since this is a switch box?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
These boxes are great, but I'm surprised how many guys have never seen one.
I've used them several times when updating commercial-kitchen fire-suppression system wiring.

I recommend adding flat washers to the two 6-32 device screws, as the slotted holes are a bit large.

It wouldn't hurt to use a couple of anchors and screws for additional mounting and support, too.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I've used them several times when updating commercial-kitchen fire-suppression system wiring.

I recommend adding flat washers to the two 6-32 device screws, as the slotted holes are a bit large.

It wouldn't hurt to use a couple of anchors and screws for additional mounting and support, too.

And I will agree with all of the above.:)

ZCBee

If this is a large classroom or in a true school, most time the lighting load on the circuit is usually completely loaded up to 80% depending on the wattage.

Depending on the usage of the extended circuit what will this do to the existing service?

Good question! As I gain more experience in our trade, I run into this and raise this red flag all the time. My coworkers tease me but it is important to look at the whole picture and 81% loaded or more, watch out.

I had another coworker (non trade person) ask why his home project of adding a receptacle to an extension from a wall switch would not work. He did not like my answer, especially when I said he should higher a professional.

Cavie

These boxes are great, but I'm surprised how many guys have never seen one.

You would be surprised how many electricians don't know what is availible in the way of material. They only know what the supply house in thier area stocks. Supply houses only stock what sells fastest. The best supply house salesman is an an outside sales person who works on straight commission. He is the go to guy. He works for you not the supply house because if he doesn't sell he doenn't get paid. The inside sales guys are nothing more than order takers.

Hendrix

What makes you think that there is no nutral at the switch ?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

It's a handy box. There is not enough volume for 4 conductors, ground and a device even if it's only #14 wire. That's 14 cu inches of box fill.

I believe those boxes are only 13 cubic inches.

cadpoint

Do you normally pull one, I don't! :grin:

Look depending on the existing arrangements in most cases the power and light service generally enter the room in the same vicinity.
Usually I try to have a HR branch or main box in or at each room.
There’s all sorts of possible situations, receptacles power in the slab only, making only the lights quickly accessible, so I can see the pirates limited application.

We don't know a lot about the original existing conditions; It could be a office work-shop class room.
It could be just that and make my future point void as well.

Other than the ease of gaining power for the new usage, why wouldn't they consider using the correct service for power receptacle? If this it is a school, would they be changing or breaking the rules?! :D

1. No mixing services.
..1a. All services are to originate from the same panel! Old school dedicated panel comes to mind!
2. Some Schools have 277 Voltage making some or part or all of my statement even more of a consideration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.