Universal X-Plug 120/240 receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jradatti

So I installed a timer (more of a power control box) last week that can be wired for 120V or 240V. For my application it was wired for 240V. The receptacles on the timer are these universal X-plug types that can accept 120 or 240V. So when my customer picked up the ballast it is also dual voltage (90-260V), however the only cord they supply is a standard 120V (Nema 1-15) and they dont sell the normal 240V (Nema 6-15) with the (2) horizontal blades due to the fact that the receptacles are also universal. This has to be a code violation right? Clearly a horrible design for many reasons, the most obvious being someone plugging a 120V device into this timer. By design they are only suppling 1 type cord for different voltages. Receptacles can be found here:

http://www.horticulturesource.com/product_info.php?products_id=7364

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This isn't a NEMA standard design configuration and is likely an unlisted product. Certainly wouldn't want to plug in a 120 appliance if the thing were connected to 240 volts.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Didn't receptacles of the 1950's look like that (although without the grounding pin)? However, I don't know if they were ever wired for 240V or not.

norcal

Quote:
Originally Posted by quogueelectric
The marijuanna growers must love these.

I think that is who the are intended for. From what I have whitnesed it is those people who will blow demselves up or burn a place down.

If used at a residence 210.6(A) would prohibit lighting used @ 240V.,the dope growers are not going to care if it was listed or not, pictures have been posted on a lot of forums of the aftermath of a grow op.

wireguru

interesting. That receptacle has a UL number stamped on the yoke, upside down at the top. I checked the UL number and it belongs to a chinese manufacturer and the listing is for 120v recetpacles. The company does not show this receptacle on their website.

ZHEJIANG TRIMONE CO LTD E243553
WEST OF XINXING SAN RD
SOUTH OF DULI RD
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT ZONE
PINGHU, ZHEJIANG 314200 CHINA

Trademark and/or Tradename: "E243553"

Receptacles: flush, grounding, rated 15/A, 125V, Cat. Nos. TMDR-151J, TMSR-151J, TMDR-15/2J, TMSR-152J.

Receptacles: flush, grounding, rated 15/20A, 125V, Cat. Nos. TMDR-201J, TMSR-201J.

Status
Not open for further replies.