CCTV Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

Ain't everything a $100 dollors now. Santa's Coming ... :roll: DTK-4VP

I thought they did that at every CCTV drop on the service side?

Can I make due with a inline and then standard branching?

A single in line will work, but the multi in/out units are just plain more convenient and simplify your wiring, IMHO.

Volta

Well actually there is an entire article
ARTICLE 820 Community Antenna Television and Radio Distribution Systems
The title is misleading.

Article 820 , although the title is misleading. Where the coax enters the building, install an impulse supressor, transistion to the interior listed coax. With the inpulse supressor create a single point ground, see 250.94

Code says: Art. 820 is for radio frequency signals (antennae, CATV, or such). CCTV signals are line level and don't fall under the scope of 820.1.

Common sense says: Lightning doesn't care. You sure are right about the physical aspect of what should be done.

sinbad

we install ditek on all outdoor analog cameras we install now. I learned it the hard way. if the line is direct burial your risk of getting screwed are higher anyway w/without surge protection but a surge suppressor on both ends will help.

protecting for example 8 outdoor cams will cost you ~$1000, and if you didn't buy your system from costco it'll cost you a lot more to replace the camera or god forbid the DVR when the next surge hits the area.

sinbad

I've just noticed the following image in "Guide to Low-Voltage and Limited-Energy Systems" which stat the coax must be grounded. I wonder if the Ditek units are to be confused with the need of grounding or do I need to bound it to the EGC closer to entry point to building?
coaxh.png

(http://www.mikeholt.com/documents/lowvoltage/pdf/LowVoltBook.pdf)
page 24

Status
Not open for further replies.