Three-way switching of 240V load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natfuelbilll

The application is 240v fixtures being controlled by a typical three-way switch pair. One phase would be treated as the common neutral and the remaining phase as the switching leg.

Code requires switching the ungrounded conductor. Is the intention to switch all ungrounded conductors?

gndrod

The application is 240v fixtures being controlled by a typical three-way switch pair. One phase would be treated as the common neutral and the remaining phase as the switching leg.

Code requires switching the ungrounded conductor. Is the intention to switch all ungrounded conductors?

Can anyone really call a common phase return a common neutral? Watch out....rbj

kleinstoller

How to ask a question

How to ask a question

Specifically -- yesterday i was working with a different group -- making up service equipment in a panel room.

3 sets of paralell conductors in emt extended outside and along the wall of the building.

their location in the panel made it difficult to land the grounded (neutral) conductors with out bending too tight a radius.

Also they were landed top center overe the breaker and bus bars.

Accordingly -- i decided to turn loops in the gutter (plenty of space) and sweep them into place.

When i asked why i did that -- i responded with what i just described -- and added that i had been taught that turning that loop in the gutter served a second purpose..., when condensation woukld occur in the pipe (and it WILL)
the build-up of water would fall harmlessly in the gutter -- rather than accumulate on the main breaker etc.

They acted as if i'd dremt that one up -- would you comment

Status
Not open for further replies.