Looking for in depth training book on wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ms136

I have been looking for a book on how to wire (mostly residential) that includes the science of the matter as well. Every book I've come across shows how to connect the wires but not why or what is going on at the electron level. I think a book of this type would be especially helpful when troubleshooting. For example, why different volt readings with a DMM tell you what is going on in that circuit. My electronics textbooks break down the circuits and components and explain what is happening, but not my electrical books. Thanks.

cadpoint

Enough Books

Enough Books

You can never get to many books about this stuff! :)

Another avenue:

Call (ahead) or visit your local (on-line) Community College, or Vocational Center and get their phone number. Note when the course is offered.

Residential wiring is usually the first course they teach in the fall, sometimes the books will be returned by the book store, and not available now. Sometimes the books are listed for sale second hand on a community board at the school.

Just remember that the book should (hopefully) reflect your active State electrical code requirements.

"Looking for in depth training book on wiring"

"...what is going on at the electron level"

These are not the same topic. It is not common to see both subject matters covered in detail in one book. You will need at least 2 different books.

gndrod

I have been looking for a book on how to wire (mostly residential) that includes the science of the matter as well. Every book I've come across shows how to connect the wires but not why or what is going on at the electron level. I think a book of this type would be especially helpful when troubleshooting. For example, why different volt readings with a DMM tell you what is going on in that circuit. My electronics textbooks break down the circuits and components and explain what is happening, but not my electrical books. Thanks.
Hi ms136,
I doubt you will find a book on residential wiring that breaks down electron flow such as you are familiar with when looking at the difference in discrete components like semiconductors. (I.e. Transistors and the difference between NPN and PNP electron hole migration.)

The closest that the electrical industry gets to electron flow would be by Coulomb quantitiy in conductor capacity ratings. The NEC is needed to correlate minimum electrical functions with theory in any case and that takes a lot of study and lab work to understand.

This makes me think about what you are asking for in troubleshooting residential. To explain some of the mysteries of the fast progression of technology such as LED and solar ciS is a major undertaking in explaining residential system equipment integration. Some of the tech manuals for testing equipment barely scratch the surface of various EMF and related extraneous influences that occur during branch circuit analysis.

I tried to incorporate reasoning why certain methods are done for residential wire and cable installation and found that doing so gets in the way of the initial intent of describing the basics of house wiring to start with. First of all, the ever changing NEC and the myriads of interpretation really get in the way of doing a book in the troubleshooting aspects of NM cabling.

I realized that there are too many smart electricians in the industry that would contradict and dispel what would be the answer for a correct method. All I can see is getting a well experienced instructor who has wired at least a thousand new and remod systems and can relate to what you want to learn. One of the best ways I found for an individual to get involved with residential was to work for Habitat for Humanity. After six months of explaining to volunteers to do installation, the 'HOW TO' concepts had to be explained in actually doing demonstrations of what I had been doing all my life.

The level of installation is trainable....but to come in and troubleshoot loose terminations, hidden boxes, looped three-ways, missing home runs, incorrect or defective fixtures and equipment...can bring grown men to their knees. That is the book I am thinking about writing but avoid it like the plague. Any encouragement or reality check comments are welcome. rbj

ms136

Thanks for the replies. Gnrd, I hope you do go ahead and write that troubleshooting book, that would be very helpful for a lot of people.

Karl H

In all my years in the electrical field I have accepted the fact that Electricity
cannot be simplified. Thank God, cause I get bored real easy. :)

knoppdude

The best descriptive electrical theory book I have ever read, and it had no editing error that I could find, was Electricity 1-7 by Harry Mileaf. It offers very good explanations of what happens at the atomic level to cause electron flow. Grob's Basic Electronics is also very good for this as well.

ohmhead

Well i found out it takes many years of electrical work to understand what we do . Like hands on trade stuff only .

But most electricians dont understand electrical theory you see it everyday .

They do not teach theory good enough in abc school or jatc school.

Find you a book on basic electricity then get the electricians handbook MGH its the start of basics thur advance electrical with the NEC included thur out it covers all areas of our trade.

Transformer Mc GRAW&HILL

Motor Mc GRAW&HILL

Get the standard book for Electrical Engineers Mc GRAW&HILL thats just a start theres so many ways to learn today just go on the web you will find anything you want to know .

And learn more with electronics DC theory semiconductors programing dont stop the future is you in the next 25 years we will see a change in our electrical systems we need to be well rounding in our work as electricians.

Ive seen even layout work today from 35 years ago now change we use to layout our conduits with a string and tape measure .

Today my company uses a trimble cad programing on all sites .

We layout our decks with no prints its on trimble with auto cad hand held field equipment .

We use to spend months on our commercial jobs drawning out each electrical room and all the distribution to and from each room 3 or four months of planning today it takes one month with Auto Cad and its more accurate then scale or rule measuring .

I seen lots of changes in the years you never will stop learning ever!!!

But what do i know i just run pipe everyday

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.