Overhead to underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterinbama

It's an old cotton mill that turned into engineering offices in the early 1960's. A large portion of the Saturn rockets were designed in this building. The owners are turning it into a multi use facility with restaurants shops offices and condo's.The H frame setup is a 120 /240 delta service that will be changed to a 277/480 volt service. That part of the facility is empty so I have a lot of time to do that one. The other on will have to be done on a weekend since that part is occupied. I will probably have to bring in a sub on that one to get the manpower needed I estimated 15 men for 2 12 hour days on that one. If I can get the sub that I want I will try to get some video of what I consider one of the most efficient and professional EC's in our area.

Here's one picture of the outside. the 2 story portion will be a restaurant.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2557/3830988124_4b992697c2.jpg

and one from the 1960's CAD/CAM what's that.

http://mm04.nasaimages.org/MediaMan...sergroup=Marshall_-_nasa-9-Admin&profileid=41

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Looks like the start of an interesting and possibly fun job. Glad to see progress in Huntsville. Update us so we can be vultures :)

masterinbama

Looks like the start of an interesting and possibly fun job. Glad to see progress in Huntsville. Update us so we can be vultures :)

We are pretty fortunate here as far as work goes. The Base Realignment and Closure Commission is moving 8000 Government an 10,000 support jobs here in the next 5 years. This project is kind of a design build and should keep me, my partner and our apprentice busy for a year or so. It's kind of odd though, instead of fast track they want to take their time so they don't end up with empty space without a lease on it. The actual build out will not start until space is leased. That way the customer has say in the final layout.

euclid43

Can't Wait 2 C The Progress

Can't Wait 2 C The Progress

While we're on the subject, I wanted to get an idea on the scope of underground work.

A residential house wants a service change, and it's underground. Does the utility company install from transformer to the house panel, and I take it from there? Or do I have to pull the wire from transformer myself?

Seems to me that power would be off for long time, while waiting for Utility Co. to do their job.

masterinbama

That varies from utility to utility. For our POCO we install the conduit from the pole or transformer to the house and they provide and pull the lateral. One county over to the west they provide the wire and we pull it. One county to the east we dig the trench and they lay the cable in it with no conduit. It is impossible to know what your POCO requires without a phone call. On this project we provide and install everything except the actual padmount and the 15 KV cable.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Problem is as I go through the building, the high leg is on A, B or C depending on which panel I am at. Makes for an interesting project.
Problem is as I go through the building, the high leg is on A, B or C depending on which panel I am at. Makes for an interesting project.
Gesundheit! :grin:

masterinbama

Update

Update

Why is this conduit hot? Owners representative asked me to look into why a 1" EMT conduit was getting very hot. Someone had added a 3 phase panel to a feeder that didn't have a neutral pulled in it. So they ran a 1" EMT and pulled a 3/0 neutral in it. The deeper we get into this project the more interesting it gets. Will post pics later.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why is this conduit hot? Owners representative asked me to look into why a 1" EMT conduit was getting very hot. Someone had added a 3 phase panel to a feeder that didn't have a neutral pulled in it. So they ran a 1" EMT and pulled a 3/0 neutral in it. The deeper we get into this project the more interesting it gets. Will post pics later.

Hopefully they will remove every last piece of the existing equipment and send it to the junk yard. Or send it to Hollywood for movie props. :)

About 10 years ago I was involved with a project where we had to demolish 3-5000 amp services and all of the existing copper feeders. The General Foreman became a very rich man. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.