Reversing a non-reversing AC motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDOC7

Invert the motor mount or get a new fan blade with opposite rotation characteristics (cw or ccw) keeping the same diameter and pitch.

It's a rare fan, 24" long, designed for high airflow with low noise. Not an easy find.

And the motor mount... is that possible? The stator and rotor are off-center on the shaft.

MDOC7

Here's the other side of the motor with the rotor removed.
motor_connectionsrear.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Maybe you can flip the blower wheel on the shaft. Many squirrel-cage blowers have the hub centered in the wheel.

hurk27

Maybe you can flip the blower wheel on the shaft. Many squirrel-cage blowers have the hub centered in the wheel.

E'rrrr Larry, having a curly moment?

Flipping a blower wheel wont change the direction of air flow, as nether will flipping a fan blade and installing it back wards, because the pitch will still be in the same direction.

MDOC7

If the bearings are the same distance from the center of the armature at each end of the rotor, and the end bearing housings are the same then there should be no problem with flipping the armature.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
E'rrrr Larry, having a curly moment?

Flipping a blower wheel wont change the direction of air flow, as nether will flipping a fan blade and installing it back wards, because the pitch will still be in the same direction.
Not for a squirrel-cage blower.

mthead

Buy a different motor?
[Cavie's reply..,"Buy a new motor?".]I just fell off my chair --that is what I call a good line-especially because in effect it will probably be the right answer as well-You have no idea how much I needed a smile today.
In all sincerity I've got to say 'Thank you 'cav'.

glene77is

What are the ways to reverse an AC motor that's non-reversable? (single-phase, 2-phase, 3-phase) Thanks.

MDoc7,

I almost hate to suggest it,
since it is not the way electricians do it,
but you could rig up a serpentine belt drive,
taking an idle pulley for the reversed output drive shaft.
:)

Cavie

[Cavie's reply..,"Buy a new motor?".]I just fell off my chair --that is what I call a good line-especially because in effect it will probably be the right answer as well-You have no idea how much I needed a smile today.
In all sincerity I've got to say 'Thank you 'cav'.

Economics 101;)

Status
Not open for further replies.