Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Now what about service calc's and the range

Now what about service calc's and the range

Now that we have digressed a bit!
I would like to know various opinions as to how to add the calc for the range in the main service of a single family dwelling.

Lets take a 12.9 KV Range nameplate.

1) do we apply table 220.55 and it states 8KW and add 5% because it is over 12KV. ( I rounded to the higher)

2) or do we take the nameplate at 12.9KV as per 220.82 (B) (4) 2005 NEC

gndrod

Rob,
I have no diagreement on the 40 amp circuit. But your post brings up an old discussion.
Can you use a Art 220 calculation to size an Art 210 branch circuit ?

Good question Gus. After looking at the GE spec sheets from the OP, the Unit is rated at 11.6 kW and the power cord required is a 40A @ 250 (10 kW) with a 50 A power cord not recommended. (due to fit tolerances I think)

I can see why there is confusion in noticing this on the manufacturer's installation sheet. The unit will operate safely by interpreting the spec sheet data with the conflicting ratings.

I would not take the overall GE recommended data to the bank for applied BC conductor ratings mainly because of the above reasons I commented on in #18. rbj

gndrod

I would like to know various opinions as to how to add the calc for the range in the main service of a single family dwelling.

1) do we apply table 220.55 and it states 8KW and add 5% because it is over 12KV. ( I rounded to the higher)

2) or do we take the nameplate at 12.9KV as per 220.82 (B) (4) 2005 NEC

Sierrasparky, Note that 220.82 (B)(4) comes under the Optional Method for a single family dwelling....applicable to motors. rbj

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
OOP's correction

OOP's correction

2) or do we take the nameplate at 12.9KV as per 220.82 (B) (3) 2005 NEC

gndrod

got it.
So when my competitor told my customer he had to change out the 50 amp breaker to a 40 amp one and no where did it say max breaker 50 amp.
This guy was probably wrong.
I did not install the 50 it was in a home built in the late 70's or early 80's.
The breaker was a FPE and I bet he got a nice profit on a simple job.

If the original BC conductors are #6 awg then you are correct. rbj

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Ok say I "choose" alternate method IV to calculate the entire home.
Then I think I am to use the nameplate of the range. It is 12.9 KV

as per :
220.82 (B) (3) The nameplate rating of all appliances that are fastened in place , permanently connected or located to be specific circuit ranges, wall ovens, counter mounted cooking..............

Cavie

The real fun starts when the electrican roughs in a 40 amp circuit and the new range calls for a 50 amp breaker. I'm not a very popular guy at that piont.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The real fun starts when the electrican roughs in a 40 amp circuit and the new range calls for a 50 amp breaker. I'm not a very popular guy at that piont.
I would agree.
However I was really interested in the idea I had in the previous post. # 30

gndrod

Ok say I "choose" alternate method IV to calculate the entire home.
Then I think I am to use the nameplate of the range. It is 12.9 KV

as per :
220.82 (B) (3) The nameplate rating of all appliances that are fastened in place , permanently connected or located to be specific circuit ranges, wall ovens, counter mounted cooking..............

That is correct. The total FIP then gets summed up for the first 10 kVA 100% DF and then the remaining kVA 40%...totaled together with largest of Heating or A/C gives the final dwelling Demand Load. rbj

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.