Rough Wire New Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never saw a trim out for many months until I had rough in down pat.

Then there's the idea that having that rookie do some devicing impresses the reasons for doing that tie-in so neatly and consistently. ya know? ;)

Then there's the idea that having that rookie devicing his own rough-ins as soon as he can really sets the idea of doing the rough right.

lots of ways to skin a cat.

Karl H

I've been doing Commercial,Industrial, and Heavy Industrial all my life.
I wired a few Customs 4K plus (Favors). I just read chpt.3 the night before
and just thought of the house as a large office space. Lobby= living room,
break room=kitchen, office= bedrooms,etc.With no accessible ceiling tiles.
After wiring my first house I couldn't believe how easy commercial was
(Physically),compared to a house. When I was trimming out 200 plugs
I couldn't help but think this sure beats hooking up 300 lay-ins on a ladder
all day.

Regarding the OP's question. I always made up all my boxes at rough.
Having to strip the sheathing,make joints,then install the device on 200
plugs would have been a real PITA.

For the guys that can do a house in a day I wonder how much time is spent
on "Punch" "hot-check" and other words to describe turning on the power
and metering all the circuits and devices to make sure everything works.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I have to ask-how do you loop the romex under the house between the recepts by yourself? It's been a long time since I did residential, but I can't imagine doing a rough-in without a little help. Maybe everything above the floor by myself, but not under the house. I know it can all be done overhead, but it takes so much more romex this way.

i set up rolls of nm in multipule locations, push down through floor, get several when i go underneath. usually mark a length before i push it through so i know how much to push up.

RonPecinaJr

I have to ask-how do you loop the romex under the house between the recepts by yourself? It's been a long time since I did residential, but I can't imagine doing a rough-in without a little help. Maybe everything above the floor by myself, but not under the house. I know it can all be done overhead, but it takes so much more romex this way.

Pretty simple and faster if you ask me.

What I like to do is drill holes down through the floor plate for switches and receptacles and staple wires to the sill plate. The length of the wire to a receptacle is one arms length, for a switch two. This also saves time on drilling holes and the bit lasts a little longer.

cal1947

electrician

electrician

I have a new employee working by himself on roughing in a new home in Delaware the home is roughly 2,000 to 2,500 Square feet. The first day we were at the home I put in the panel and service, and he worked inside putting in boxes and drilling holes after that he worked by himself there is 46 switches, 86 receptacle boxes 10 recessed cans, how long roughly on average would it take for one person to wire up a home like this? Just need a guess. Also had an inspector for the rough inspection say he wanted all the wires in the boxes to be stripped, spliced and ready for devices, does this sound common to anyone?

never new a inspector would have sign off on it without the boxes made up and grounds properly sliiced

ty

I have not done resi for decades, but I've done hundreds of homes.
I was also taught by some of the best.
First I would never, ever let a new employee go out by himself and rough my customer's home without training him MY way.
I never saw a trim out for many months until I had rough in down pat. I was taught the proper way to drill out, neatly run romex by squaring off, strip out, pull HR's, mount the panel and strip it out and terminate completely. Leaving nothing to strip at trim other than a few stub outs.
Judging by your terminology, I take it you've never done resi.

Hey all.
I haven't been around lately. I've been extremely busy.

If this house is in the State of Delaware, then I can see that the Inspector wants to see all of the grounds spliced. If YOU are a Licensed Electrician in Delaware, you should know this.

If your employee is in the State Apprenticship program, then he should not be working by himself at all.

-Todd

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
You are slow, and this is an example of how people get beat on bids. I could rough this house in (as long as it's not custom) in 24-28 hrs. That's including the service. Trim out in 14-18. Guaranteed.

i can dig that.

when I first went into business, doing new houses right by my lonesome, i was doing 2k' houses in 24 hours with steel boxes and soldered joints. Trim-out, including building the service, took me about 16 hours.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
with soldered joints... and under 2 days. :-?

What year?

24 hours would be three days, or two and a half, depending on how rushed I was.

That was 3 years ago.

Now keep in mind I wasn't figuring a job on those hours; that excludes the time it takes driving to the job and getting materials, permits, etc. . . .

I'm talking on-the-job hours.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
24 hours would be three days, or two and a half, depending on how rushed I was.

That was 3 years ago.

Now keep in mind I wasn't figuring a job on those hours; that excludes the time it takes driving to the job and getting materials, permits, etc. . . .

I'm talking on-the-job hours.

do you still solder your joints? if so why? if not why?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
do you still solder your joints? if so why? if not why?

no i don't solder anymore, and i switched to plastic boxes.

i encountered a lot of eye rolling on here when mentioning it, and not without good reason I suppose.

i apprenticed for an EC who's been in the business 50+ years; its just the way i was taught.

i finally gave plastic boxes and wire nuts a shot about a year and a half ago; it was definitely faster. I think its safe to say they've been in use long enough to be proven safe. As for cost savings; for me personally, the savings using wirenuts was minimal. Either myself or one specific helper did all of the soldering, and he had been soldering for years so I didn't have to teach him or check joints to make sure it was done correctly. The cost savings using plastic boxes was huge.

But honestly, I just soldered, taped, and used steel boxes because it was the only thing I knew, and never took the time to try the "new" way. I still offer that type of installation though because some contractors request it. There are many "old school" EC's and GC's here who still use the solder/tape method on every job.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
no i don't solder anymore, and i switched to plastic boxes.

i encountered a lot of eye rolling on here when mentioning it, and not without good reason I suppose.

i apprenticed for an EC who's been in the business 50+ years; its just the way i was taught.

i finally gave plastic boxes and wire nuts a shot about a year and a half ago; it was definitely faster. I think its safe to say they've been in use long enough to be proven safe. As for cost savings; for me personally, the savings using wirenuts was minimal. Either myself or one specific helper did all of the soldering, and he had been soldering for years so I didn't have to teach him or check joints to make sure it was done correctly. The cost savings using plastic boxes was huge.

But honestly, I just soldered, taped, and used steel boxes because it was the only thing I knew, and never took the time to try the "new" way. I still offer that type of installation though because some contractors request it. There are many "old school" EC's and GC's here who still use the solder/tape method on every job.

Boy, when you quit using black pipe I bet that saved you even more.:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.