Estimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKwiring

Happy Thanksgiving all-

I have given a proposal to a customer and know he has received several. In my proposal I wrote the total price to do the job, what that included(wiring home to meet code, low voltage wiring, smokes, does not include fixtures) and the warranty info. Now he has requested a detailed breakdown of materials and labor to do the job. I am not sure how to handle this. He has already stated he does not want this to be a labor and materials job. He wants a bid price. Shoud I break it down generally to make him happy? Materials Price, Labor Price
If I do that where do you generally fit in overhead costs, tools, equipment rentals?
Would you give a detailed list? Thanks a lot!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Would you give a detailed list?
I'd tell him that I didn't break it down that way, that I estimated using an assembly pricing (X per each type of outlet/opening/etc., without separating materials and labor), and that I'd be willing to break it down for a price (paid with a separate "contract").

I'd also ask him why, what it is he's looking for. If he offers to provide materials (which must include shopping and delivery), I'd say okay, but the labor costs will be higher, and any delay caused by improper or a lack of any materials will be billed hourly.

Added: One more thing: You also cannot guarantee anything about anything he provides, including labor. If something he hands you has to be replaced, breaks, is wrong, doesn't fit, etc., he pays for the R&R.

Last edited:

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I have run into this situation and have tried different solutions with varying results. I wonder if I could show a customer my yearly expenses and divide by the number of days his job would keep me tied up (not just time to do it, plus an allowance for go-backs).

Another thing I've always thought about when a customer wants to buy materials and hire me by the hour is tell them go ahead and buy the tools too and come pick me up in the morning.

AKwiring

How long of a warranty do you all generally give for your work and materials you purchase? Is 1 year standard practice? That is typically what I go with, but I read in another thread someone who gave 5 years.

growler

Happy Thanksgiving all-

I have given a proposal to a customer and know he has received several. In my proposal I wrote the total price to do the job, what that included(wiring home to meet code, low voltage wiring, smokes, does not include fixtures) and the warranty info.

I hate to ask this and I do not wish to be rude but I will ask anyway. Your profile says that you are an electrician apprentice. If you have moved on to bigger and better things then you should change your profile.

If you are still an apprentice any advice given wouldn't count because you wouldn't be working legally to start with.

Question: Are you an electrical contractor?

Last edited:

satcom

How long of a warranty do you all generally give for your work and materials you purchase? Is 1 year standard practice? That is typically what I go with, but I read in another thread someone who gave 5 years.

It will vary from state to state, my state is 2 years and some are one year, check your state consumer laws. If you warrant it for a longer term some states may require you to secure a warranty bond which can get expensive.

satcom

I have run into this situation and have tried different solutions with varying results. I wonder if I could show a customer my yearly expenses and divide by the number of days his job would keep me tied up (not just time to do it, plus an allowance for go-backs).

Show your customer nothing, it's none of their business what job materials cost you, you need to mark them up or your loosing a good chunk of your profits, and on you labor, you can'r just devide the number of days, you have to account for non protuctive time, your in business, not working as day labor.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Show your customer nothing, it's none of their business what job materials cost you, you need to mark them up or your loosing a good chunk of your profits, and on you labor, you can'r just devide the number of days, you have to account for non protuctive time, your in business, not working as day labor.
I see what you mean I think you're right thanks.

Kdog76

A price is a price. A bid to do X amount work is just that, a bid.
A breakdown is not something you generally provide on a bid, at least not in terms of $$$. Breakdown in work, what's covered & what's not, and the warranty. A breakdown in price? I'd ask him if his other bids are breaking it down that way. Generally you would not do that on a bid, you give a bottom line price with contingencies for extra work, etc... Of course it's in his favor if you do but the choice to do that is yours. And probably not a good one...
;)

Kdog76

Another thing I've always thought about when a customer wants to buy materials and hire me by the hour is tell them go ahead and buy the tools too and come pick me up in the morning.

:grin::grin::grin:
I love it. I'll have to add that in to my arsenal...
Problem is, how many actually would go for it? I can hear it now "I'll be there around 8:00, how's that work for you?"

Status
Not open for further replies.