Raceway thru foundation below grade??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

A potential customer asked if I could run a stick of pvc through his foundation for future lv lighting use. It turns out exiting the pvc at the basement's ceiling height would still bring me out at least 12" below grade. My concern would be how to properly seal the pipe/hole as it exited the foundation, any suggestions?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My concern would be how to properly seal the pipe/hole as it exited the foundation, any suggestions?
I'd start with a J-box on the inside, pipe through the wall, and elbow up to a J-box above grade on the wall outside. I wouldn't want an open pipe below grade outside. The hole can be sealed as recommended.

You might need to notch the outside a bit for the sweep, or offset back against the wall, or even put this in an inside corner (like where a porch hits the house) so the box is on the adjacent wall or surface.

satcom

A potential customer asked if I could run a stick of pvc through his foundation for future lv lighting use. It turns out exiting the pvc at the basement's ceiling height would still bring me out at least 12" below grade. My concern would be how to properly seal the pipe/hole as it exited the foundation, any suggestions?

Try to come out of the ground and then enter the building, below grade entry that may allow water to enter the home, it can become a never ending liability, if your insurance company knew you were doing below grade entries, I bet they would change your coverages, or make it so expensive you would not be able to afford it.

Install the PVC as the customer asked, and glue an end cap on the PVC. I think if you do good job gluing, there will not be a water issue from the cap.

Proper sealing around the PVC as it passes through the foundation wall is just as important...

Try to come out of the ground and then enter the building, below grade entry that may allow water to enter the home, it can become a never ending liability, if your insurance company knew you were doing below grade entries, I bet they would change your coverages, or make it so expensive you would not be able to afford it.

I'm pretty sure the insurance company already knows that the water and sewer pipes are entering and exiting the foundation below grade, so I don't believe this would be an issue.

Seal the foundation properly around the pvc and glue a cap on the end like Pierre said

Power Tech

I have been lucky, the ones I have done have been unfinished basements.

I was able to fish up into the the wall above, then go outside and cut a hole and set a WP J-box.

If you go the other rout, the conduit should be sealed on each end to prevent 2 different atmospheres from creating condensation.

Do not know if it is true, but I herd of a contractor using expanding sealing compound and cracking the foundation.

mark32

Thanks all for the replies. I think my favorite idea is to 90 up and then offset back to the foundation and set a box like Larry said and then use hydraulic cement along with tar to seal it like jumper said. Thanks again.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I think my favorite idea is to 90 up and then offset back to the foundation and set a box like Larry said and then use hydraulic cement along with tar to seal it like jumper said.
Forevermore to be known as the Larry/Jumper method.

satcom

I'm pretty sure the insurance company already knows that the water and sewer pipes are entering and exiting the foundation below grade, so I don't believe this would be an issue.

Seal the foundation properly around the pvc and glue a cap on the end like Pierre said

The issue is you having the proper coverage when you do underground work, so EC's buy a cheap $400 or $500 year to year, wiring within buildings policy, rather then a contractors libality policy, with extended coverages for underground work, so if anything happens to their installation, like water damage, their about to get one of the most expensive lessons in contractor coverages and liabilities.
You may leave a pipe cap on it, but I am sure the owner will open that cap at some point, and your exposure still rides with the installation.

ooooops

ooooops

The issue is you having the proper coverage when you do underground work, so EC's buy a cheap $400 or $500 year to year, wiring within buildings policy, rather then a contractors libality policy, with extended coverages for underground work, so if anything happens to their installation, like water damage, their about to get one of the most expensive lessons in contractor coverages and liabilities.
You may leave a pipe cap on it, but I am sure the owner will open that cap at some point, and your exposure still rides with the installation.

Thanks for reiterating your point. I get it (now). In the future I'll try to make sure I'm actually reading what I'm reading ;)

Sparky555

The insurance company has probably protected themselves with a mold exclusion. That leaves the liability with the contractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.