EZE-Rough and cheetah speed systems; now w/ leviton

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
so it seems leviton has purchased cheetah speed systems, which i have seen before, but they have another company they purchased i have not seen; EZE-Rough.

You send the plans, and they pre-fab all of the branch circuits for you.

take a look here.

bigjohn67

Waste of time

Waste of time

We tried it and was not able to use 50% of it on one job.
Unless you have all the trades in tune, it does not work.
There is always a plumber or A/C man who puts stuff in your way that causes you to add to the scrap pile.
I do not recommend it at all as we tried it and it failed.

480sparky

............You send the plans, and they pre-fab all of the branch circuits for you.........

I would much rather design my own system and order what I know I need.

Also, what happens betwixt ordering the stuff and trim-out when the HO changes a dozen items? Kinda puts a wrench into the gears.

jmsbrush

One thing that I thought about was. I don't care how well they might have it labeled, I think the time trying to figure out where stuff went, would offset how long it would take just to do it normal.
How many times in our daily work do we have perfect installs? Always seems like something is in the way. I had to put extra 90 in this, and an offset in that.

jmsbrush

I would much rather design my own system and order what I know I need.

Also, what happens betwixt ordering the stuff and trim-out when the HO changes a dozen items? Kinda puts a wrench into the gears.

Yeah and not only that, what happens when you have change order after change order?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
This system isn't designed for custom work. I wouldn't even think of trying it there. For spec houses it should work just fine. In my experience, those always go as planned.

The main reason I wouldn't use it is because labor is so cheap in my area, the cost difference wouldn't balance out as they planned.

To give you an idea, I have in my hands a bid packet for a job at the local AFB; minimum electricians wage is $9/hr. And that's actually a little high. Just went through a bid packet for an airport lighting project being funded by the DOT and the min wage was less than $8/hr.

Cavie

so it seems leviton has purchased cheetah speed systems, which i have seen before, but they have another company they purchased i have not seen; EZE-Rough.

You send the plans, and they pre-fab all of the branch circuits for you.

take a look here.

If you think that will really work, I've got some oceanfront property in Arizonia.........

When the owner want's to move the service you think Leviton is gonna take it back

I have seen it done with MC cable in track housing where no changes are allowed. But that was done in house by the EC.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
If you think that will really work, I've got some oceanfront property in Arizonia.........

:roll:

EZE-Rough Website said:
With over 14,000 unit installations, the EZE-Rough System has proven to be the simplest and most cost effective solution . . . .

It has its applications. Do a little reading first . . . .

Their project list includes mostly apartments, hotels, etc. . .

macmikeman

It can work. We used to do the same thing with pre cut , labeled, and bundled up bunches of romex cuts for military housing jobs. Once we established and standardized where all the holes were drilled in a typical unit, one guy pulled and stapled bundle #1 over and over and over. Wiremaster #2 did bundle #2 over and over and over.... so on so forth. One guy did the load centers. One guy did the service and ground rod. After about 6 months of that, each of the men on the job becomes the worlds finest and fastest at his little bit of whatever it was he got assigned to. Same routine for the trim outs.

electricmanscott

Of course this can work and will work in some applications. If everybody was unwilling to try new things we'd still be soldering connections on knob and tube wiring. Loosen up guys, it's ok to try something new once in a while. :roll:

iwire

Staff member
We tried it and was not able to use 50% of it on one job.
Unless you have all the trades in tune, it does not work.
There is always a plumber or A/C man who puts stuff in your way that causes you to add to the scrap pile.
I do not recommend it at all as we tried it and it failed.

Let me ask this, who was the one that forgot there would be other systems to work around?

peter d

I think the negative comments about this product are really because you guys are jealous that you didn't think of it first and aren't making money off of it. ;)

LJSMITH1

We have supplied our snap-in fittings to EZE-ROUGH for a few years now. Those customers that have used their system are very pleased as it has saved time and money in the long run. The planning that goes into the system is only as good as the original engineering drawings that are supplied, and how well any changes are communicated back to the factory.

As someone already stated, this type of pre-fab system is best for applications that are repetitive (i.e. identical floor plates or spec. homes). It is not typically used for the one-off construction.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I once did a project where we figured out how long the conduit runs were going to have to be, and made up wire harnesses that length, with a few extra feet. The wires were all labeled and bundled together, and the electricians just had to pull them in the field. Saved an enormous amount of time in the field, especially debugging the wiring. We even installed the hubs in the jboxes.

I don't know that it would be worth doing these days. Electricians seem to have gotten better at doing control wiring and usually they seem to do a pretty decent job of it. But not all that long ago it was not unusual for it to take longer to debug and fix the control wiring than it took to do it in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.