Pipe in the water

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

Has anyone ever ran electrical metal conduit under water (submersible conduit). When I say under water, I mean across a stream, or small river that’s 40-60 feet wide--with no means of support. I seen this today, and I’m wondering what the heck they used. I know the pipe they used was metal, but which type of metal?? I called three distributors, and they have no idea. Obviously they used the bottom of the stream as support. But it’s a raging stream. All it needs is a large log to hit it, and it done! Interesting!!! Believe it or not, the homeowner said a handy man installed it. I did see a dead fish stuck to the pipe---no signs of frying :D

SEO

Cables are frequently installed in lakes. Handy men will install anything, could be hollow tent posts for all anyone knows.

wawireguy

40-60' through a river would put tremedous force on whatever pipe is put in there. I'm thinking this would need to be a engineered solution. Probably has to go past some Dept of Natural Resources people or whomever does that in your state. My money is on this pipe not lasting through spring run off.

ultramegabob

around here they bore sideways under rivers and pull a continuous plastic tubing off a reel that looks similar to what the gas company uses.

nhfire77

how about 1" SCH 80 PVC inside a sleeve of 1.5" SCH 80 PVC and a whole lot of hydraulic cement, or something just as crazy.

resistance

Update: I walked away from the job. They didn't want it done right. I sensed they where shopping for solutions--so they can pass it on. I guess they can get their handyman to re-route the illegal run---seeing that they had him install it in the first place. The run is 900+ feet of #2 Alum from conduit body to barn, then 80+ feet more of NM-b ran through house. :roll:

Last edited:

ZCBee

Update: I walked away from the job. They didn't want it done right. I sensed they where shopping for solutions--so they can pass it on. I guess they can get their handyman to re-route the illegal run---seeing that they had him install it in the first place. The run is 900+ feet of #2 Alum from conduit body to barn, then 80+ feet more of NM-b ran through house. :roll:

Over the years, hearing the tales of the past, a certain lake to remain unnamed in the Sierra Nevada's, back in the day as the story goes, all it took to get something "Passed" was a bottle of expensive "drink". Sounds kind a similar.

nhfire77

Over the years, hearing the tales of the past, a certain lake to remain unnamed in the Sierra Nevada's, back in the day as the story goes, all it took to get something "Passed" was a bottle of expensive "drink". Sounds kind a similar.

That still applies with some people up in the north of NH and ME.

Whiskey or Single Malt!

Status
Not open for further replies.