Huge Residential $Million house quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

magictolight.com

Are you looking for good or competitive? Good to you may not be competitive to them. Best bet is to follow your inner voice young grasshopper .:)

Master, My inner voice does sound very loud or else I'm going deaf. Good to me, is the way it has to be, because I don't want to be the contractor that nickels and dimes the client, because I didn't take good notes on the job. I'd rather not get the job, and have bid it correctly, then get the job, and undercut myself.

hardworkingstiff

You guys think they will call me one way or the other or will I have to give them a call to see how high I was?

I don't know that they will call you, if you wait, you don't have a chance to sell yourself. It's a challenge to find the right timing between calling too soon and being perceived as being desperate and calling too late and thought of as not interested.

Nothing wrong at all in giving the potential customer (GC or home owner?) a call to verify the legible receipt of the proposal and to see if there are any questions. It's also good (IMO) to let them know you would really like to do the job. One thing that is taught to salesman is "ask for the order". It's OK to ask the customer to sign your proposal.

Last edited:

hardworkingstiff

Master, My inner voice does sound very loud or else I'm going deaf. Good to me, is the way it has to be, because I don't want to be the contractor that nickels and dimes the client, because I didn't take good notes on the job. I'd rather not get the job, and have bid it correctly, then get the job, and undercut myself.

It's a tough life making a living as the low bidder. It's a much better life to make a living being "he's high, but worth it because he shows up with what he needs and gets the job done".

SEO

You guys think they will call me one way or the other or will I have to give them a call to see how high I was?

If your curious give them a call and see if your fax went thru and ask if they have any questions. You may be able to feel them out without looking like your desperate for the job. They may let you know their decision over the phone.

dduffee260

Call them up. Even if you were a little high you may sell yourself. I think 15% profit was a good profit for you. Kudos to you for keeping it where it should be instead of " trying to get low bid " like so many contractors do.

jimmyglen

do us a favor - if you get this job

Job cost the whole thing

its easy - just do a seperate job account at your supplier and keep track of your hours

let us know how you do

FYI - we do a lot of big customs and do O.K on them (depends on the G.C and the customer though)

a lot of time can get spent going over things - and going over things - and going over things

satcom

do us a favor - if you get this job

Job cost the whole thing

its easy - just do a seperate job account at your supplier and keep track of your hours

let us know how you do

FYI - we do a lot of big customs and do O.K on them (depends on the G.C and the customer though)

a lot of time can get spent going over things - and going over things - and going over things

We have job actuals records dating back 3 generations, these records are used to arrive at on target estimates. I only takes a $1 spiral notebook, a bit of your time, to build the best estimating information, job actuals!

Sparky555

We have job actuals records dating back 3 generations, these records are used to arrive at on target estimates. I only takes a $1 spiral notebook, a bit of your time, to build the best estimating information, job actuals!

This is basic contracting business:

1) Quote the job
2) Track the job
3) Check the actual to the quote
4) Adjust the price

480sparky

In a word: Benchmark.

rodneee

when you say million dollar house i hope you mean 3 or 4 million. $139,000 is almost 14% of the sale price. what builder could afford to put that much percentage wise of an electrical package into a project. be careful as this sounds like the old "project went over budget and the electrician gets left short".

magictolight.com

Well, Just called the architect and found out that we were right on the money. Just a little higher than one of the larger residential shops in the area. Pretty cool, though, knowing that jumping from $10 k jobs to $140k jobs that we were able to put together a competitive bid. Man, I would have liked to gotten that job but better things must be on the horizon.

I appreciate the advice from the guys on this forum. You have become a tremendous asset to our company and to me personally. Thank you.

StephenSDH

Well, Just called the architect and found out that we were right on the money. Just a little higher than one of the larger residential shops in the area. Pretty cool, though, knowing that jumping from $10 k jobs to $140k jobs that we were able to put together a competitive bid. Man, I would have liked to gotten that job but better things must be on the horizon.

I appreciate the advice from the guys on this forum. You have become a tremendous asset to our company and to me personally. Thank you.

Not saying this is applicable for you, but GCs will generally tell you that you were 5% high no matter what. Unless you got actually numbers out of him and trust him, there is a good chance they are lieing. Another thing you will run into is that you were the low number and his buddy matched your number. Just the way I have found it to be. Luckily my company is usually the one that gets to match the competitors price. :)

magictolight.com

Not saying this is applicable for you, but GCs will generally tell you that you were 5% high no matter what. Unless you got actually numbers out of him and trust him, there is a good chance they are lieing. Another thing you will run into is that you were the low number and his buddy matched your number. Just the way I have found it to be. Luckily my company is usually the one that gets to match the competitors price. :)

Ya, the company that got this is the larger resi shop in the area, and probably has a relationship with the deciding people. Us, we are just the little wipper snapper, but still, the first big job I bid, and a chance to talk with a reputable engineer about who we are and what we stand for, still a good thing for us and our company.

StephenSDH

It makes you more competent for the next job. Big jobs are risky because they can wipe out everything you have worked hard to build.

Last edited:

Mr.Sparkle

Do you really feel comfortable taking on a job that is 14-fold higher than your average job?

Just asking, I mean I guess we all gamble but if you are used to only financing small projects that seems like you are really letting it ride....

Status
Not open for further replies.