Business for anyone!

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Business for anyone!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tryinghard

Not everyone is cut out to be in business, there?s so much to do that really is strictly business rather than how, what, or why to install something. It can be easy to assume a great tradesman should be a successful owner.

What would you say the ratio is of successful business people who once were a great journeyman?

e57

I don't thing there is a ratio if you can even consider the factors....
  • Personality - charisma
  • Capitol and the ability to raise it.
  • Financial awareness
  • Cajones
  • Salesmanship
  • Butt kisser :roll: Or at least diplomatic....
Where as a Great Journeyman may have none of them things...

tryinghard

I would qualify successful as someone who?s made their area?s middle class income with benefits like insurances, retirement, paid holiday?s, annual vacation. This same person would be able to pay themselves this way more often then not through the years.

JacksonburgFarmer

I agree that a good JW does not exactly make a good buisnessman. I myself am not the best buisnessman in the world. I often let emotion and friendship get in the way of buisness decisions. I am a master electrician and farmer learning to become a better buisnessman. I will be glad when the transformation is complete...:D

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
I don't thing there is a ratio if you can even consider the factors....
  • Personality - charisma
  • Capitol and the ability to raise it.
  • Financial awareness
  • Cajones
  • Salesmanship
  • Butt kisser :roll: Or at least diplomatic....
Where as a Great Journeyman may have none of them things...

I will agree I have met some very seasoned journeyman 20 30 year in the trade
and they patted themselves on the back! I always wondered if your so great why
are you still a journeyman ?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
This is a subjective poll disguised as an objective poll. On the surface it would appear to be very cut and dry.

But really, how can anyone actually submit an answer to the poll? Do you know a large enough sample size of electricians to make a opinion on this? Just because you know 5 electricians that made bad business persons doesn't mean you have any idea on the ratio being asked. Maybe you just associate with people who aren't too good with business.

nakulak

This is a subjective poll disguised as an objective poll. On the surface it would appear to be very cut and dry.

But really, how can anyone actually submit an answer to the poll? Do you know a large enough sample size of electricians to make a opinion on this? Just because you know 5 electricians that made bad business persons doesn't mean you have any idea on the ratio being asked. Maybe you just associate with people who aren't too good with business.

I strongly disagree. I believe that it is a subjective poll disguised as a subjective poll, and I stand by that opinion.

khixxx

I honestly do not know why you need a masters license to be able to do electrical contracting work. As long as you have Qualified (Determined by the state) men performing the tasks why would a business man need a license to operate an electrical contracting company. I always thought ethics, business and law license would be better. oh well.

growler

I honestly do not know why you need a masters license to be able to do electrical contracting work. As long as you have Qualified (Determined by the state) men performing the tasks why would a business man need a license to operate an electrical contracting company. I always thought ethics, business and law license would be better. oh well.

You don't need a master's license to operate an electrical contracting business. If you hire those qualified ( determined by the state) they will have a master's license and sponsor the company.

The reason a master's is required is because there are so many small companies out there. It's something like 90% of the companies have fewer than 10 empolyees ( and this probably just took a big jump ) and many companies are only a master ( or journeyman) and apprentice or helper.

A business license is most often required to operate any business. It's hard to enforce ethics because that's an abstract concept. It would be hard to require a law license because legal representation is available at a price to any company that's operating. Lawyers don't want to be electrical contractors there is more money to be made sueing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.