bonding sealtite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggonza

Ok so I know how we all agree that we don't have to worry about bonding sealtite or flex, when it's not considered an egc. But what about when you encounter an eccentric or concentric KO. Or reducing washers. I know how we like to compare it to bonding PVC. But this is still different. Because if you think about it, if a ground fault did occur within the raceway in question, it still has a metallic core that will become part of the ground fault current path. Electricity doesn't care what the Nec allows. So I think in accordance with 250.4(A)(3) Bonding of electrical equipment. That you would be required to properly bond the raceway in question, under the circumstances stated above. Any thoughts or opinions?

wawireguy

My thought is that all factory KO's are listed/rated to carry fault current. No need to bond the raceway connecting to them unless it is required by 250.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
My thought is that all factory KO's are listed/rated to carry fault current. No need to bond the raceway connecting to them unless it is required by 250.

Are you sure this is true ? That any size KO in a concentric is listed to carry fault current ?

SG-1

IMO if one is using the listed connectors for sealtite or flex, then it is bonded about as good as it can be. The concentric knockout would not be the weak link in this situation. The sealtite/flex would probably unravel first. It has to be bonded because it is likely to become energized.

The NEC has reasons for all the restrictions on this type of wiring method.

Concentric knockouts become a weak link when the system voltage is 277V to ground, because the fault current is much higher at this voltage level. This is why junction boxes are listed for 277V.

wawireguy

I'm not 100% sure but I'm 99% sure that KO's in new cans are rated to carry fault current. Seems I saw a thread on this sometime back and the consensus seemed to be that manufactures design them like that.

ggonza

Wow thanks for the links and references, It's pretty cool that there are so many people here that contribute their knowledge and experience. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.