holts 05 journeyman exam part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky=t

question 20.

pendant luminaires installed in class 2 div 1 locations shall be suspended by threaded conduit stems, by chains with approved fittings, or by other approved means. Stems ___________

a. shall be not longer than 12 in.
b. if over 12 in., shall be provided with lateral bracing.
c. shall be provided with a fitting or flexible connector listed for the location.
d. any of these.

my answer is B. there are no exceptions......

what am I missing? :confused: thanks

nakulak

if that was a test question, d would be the answer they were looking for. read the section don pointed you to

nakulak

this is the part that separates good test takers from bad test takers. You are 100% correct that it does not say in the NEC that it cannot be longer than 12 inches. Read the question in the way that the test taker is asking it. When you consider D (all apply), read each line to see if it applies.

a) not longer than 12". does this meet the code ? yes, because the code says if it is longer it needs bracing. So you can infer if it is not longer than 12" it does not need bracing. so not longer than 12" meets the code.

b) meets the code
c) meets the code,

so d is the answer.

I am not the best at explaining this, hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say.

sparky=t

that may be truse, but the way the question and answers are worded, i can only come up with my answer based on the wording of the code. note there are no exceptions for this article.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree it's not the best wording, but as naulak suggests, for test taking look at it as septa questions.
According to that section,
Can the luminaire be suspended by a stem not longer than 12" yes
Can the luminaire be suspended by a stem >12" with bracing yes
Can the luminaire be suspended from a listed flexible fitting yes

So "d" is your answer.

(Actually once you determine tow of the three is true, then your answer automatically becomes "d", since they don't offer two out of three")

You have to watch for "trick" questions, but at the same time you have to be careful not to read in too much.

sparky=t

you guys are more than likely schooling me, but i do not see how the answer worded shall not can be possible with out an exception... thanks for your patience;)

sparky=t

the section does not contain the wording shall not, if this was on a real test and i missed it i would have to question it.. sorry:grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Think about it like finding the best answer, not the most perfect one. It's the score you are after, after all.
True that. You'll get farther by answering their questions their way than by pointing out their flaws. (The questions' flaws, that is. ;))

Plus, in real life, you'll find many questions don't have an exact, made-to-fit answer in the NEC, and you'll have to learn to translate between Code-ese and English.

Status
Not open for further replies.