Under Cabinet Puck/task lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There are a bunch of lv lights that would be unuseable. Not just pucks but various recessed types. They have leads that you would splice to NM or whatever the wiring type and install in a ceiling.

I agree they would be unuseable and imo are unuseable in most applications. They are designed as a surface installed system. The big box store have some pucks that are 120volts and I believe they were pictured above. I have used them occasionally but no more with the LV pucks

M. D.

Saw this sometime ago , had to do with landscape lights around a pool I think ,..any way thought you might be interested,. I do believe WAC pucks use a class 2 transformer and the proper wire , could be wrong though.

He says accepted for the 2005 ,...I wonder if it made it in ?
http://www.ulenvironment.com/global/eng/documents/offerings/perspectives/regulators/LVLighting.pdf
There is a change that has been accepted for the
2005 NEC that will relax the requirements in 411.4 by
permitting Class 2 wiring methods to be used and con-
cealed within walls, floors, and ceilings where the power
supply is a listed Class 2 power supply and the wiring
is installed in accordance with 725.52.
There may be
a drawback to this new permissive rule that should be
considered. Tables 11(A) and 11(B) in chapter 9 do not
permit a Class 2 power supply to have nameplate wattage
that exceeds 100 VA or amperage that exceeds 5 amps at
30 volts or less. Comparing this 5-ampere value to the
25-ampere and higher wattage permission granted in
Article 411 for low-voltage lighting systems will severely
restrict the use of Class 2 power units. Class 2 power
supplies will, however, provide an alternative cable that
can be installed inside walls, ceilings, floors, cabinets,
and other spaces where chapter 3 wiring methods were
not easily installed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
There is no doubt that there are systems out there that are suitable for concealed installation without chapter 3 wiring methods. The system must be listed or however the saying goes. :) I almost got to install one but the HO changed her mind about it.

brandon2177k

Here's my own kitchen, LV lights fed with 14-2 speaker wire, the kind with a sheath, from remote transformer. The 14-2 is butt crimped to the leads on the puck light, These are Xenon. Would post more pics, but not sure how...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis , are you saying that if I need to extend these wires further than 30" to connect to a remote transformer I would need to cut in a J-box?
I'm thinking not.

http://www.waclighting.com/data/TOOLS_SPEC/hr-1135.pdf

MD, I am talking about wiring that is concealed in the walls on these LV pucks. The wire that comes with the kits are not suitable for concealing. You can add on to it as long as the wiring is exposed.

macmikeman

I have also installed 1/2" smurf tubing buried in the wall behind cabinets from just below the bottom of cabinets to just above at rough in and later pulled the low voltage pigtails supplied with the lv puck lights thru said chase and spliced to NM in a shallow old work box mounted above cabinets. The box gets hidden further by a trim board run along the top edge of the cabinets.

Status
Not open for further replies.