Sub Panel Ground Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I want to clarify something.......I understand by 08 code you have to run 4 wire to a seperate sub panel in a detached structure BUT my question is are you required to have a ground rod at the seperate structure also?????:-?:-?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Ok, I want to clarify something.......I understand by 08 code you have to run 4 wire to a seperate sub panel in a detached structure BUT my question is are you required to have a ground rod at the separate structure also?????:-?:-?
Yes, in fact you need 2 rods IMO. Read art 250.32(A)

electricalperson

my former boss doesnt believe this is true. he says either run a 3 wire (2 hots and a neutral) and put a ground rod or a 4 wire circuit. he is very wrong but i dont want to argue with him.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
my former boss doesnt believe this is true. he says either run a 3 wire (2 hots and a neutral) and put a ground rod or a 4 wire circuit. he is very wrong but i dont want to argue with him.

If he's your "former" boss you should be able to tell him how wrong he is and shouldn't have to use any tact in doing it. ;)

Roger

fondini

If he's your "former" boss you should be able to tell him how wrong he is and shouldn't have to use any tact in doing it. ;)

Roger

I wouldnt agree with no tact, show him the code and suggest you are trying to help avoid a costly mistake. I learned the hard way about burning a bridge.

carlos cainas

like ur bottom quote.there is alot of '' Im the best electrician this company has '' and I would not trust them with my Christmas lights. Merry Christmas from Tampa FL.

tryinghard

Ok, I want to clarify something.......I understand by 08 code you have to run 4 wire to a seperate sub panel in a detached structure BUT my question is are you required to have a ground rod at the seperate structure also?????:-?:-?
Yes, every structure with more than a multi wire branch circuit has to be grounded with an electrode specifically for lightning and over-voltage; see 250.4(A)(1) this is it?s purpose & 250.32. The rod has nothing to do with the neutral at the separate structure though.

In summary [essence]:
  • One service, one service disconnect, one electrode at service disconnect, & bonded common neutral.
  • Separate building, separate building disconnect, separate ground electrode, & separate neutral from equipment ground.
The electrodes must bond/connect past the service and this is done via the equipment-grounding conductor (sized per 250.122), causing A, B, N, GND.

Yes, every structure with more than a multi wire branch circuit has to be grounded with an electrode specifically for lightning and over-voltage; see 250.4(A)(1) this is it?s purpose & 250.32. The rod has nothing to do with the neutral at the separate structure though.

In summary [essence]:
  • One service, one service disconnect, one electrode at service disconnect, & bonded common neutral.
  • Separate building, separate building disconnect, separate ground electrode, & separate neutral from equipment ground.
The electrodes must bond/connect past the service and this is done via the equipment-grounding conductor (sized per 250.122), causing A, B, N, GND.

Thank you sir! That helps and after reading thru 250.32 I'm square now. I was just a bit confused on it and I think I may have been getting to frustrated and looked right past it. I like the way you broke it down, it helped make it clear. Thanks again!! I sure appreciate all your responses on this.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.