Aircraft Shelters

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have some aircraft shelters (basically to protect aircraft from sunlight) which are supported by posts/columns. They are open on all four sides. The fire chief has determined that they are Class I, Division 2 areas. I could not find in the Code where open areas are Class I. Aircraft parked there only require minor maintenance/diagnostics. The user needs to have access to a receptacle for the laptop used for diagnostics. Currently, only overhead light fixtures are installed under the roof/canopy. To the best of my knowledge, the fuel tanks are never opened under these shelters. Fuel is JP-4 or JP-8, depending on location.

1. Is this a Class I, Division 2 area? If it is, perhaps the meaning is that fuel vapors might be present under abnormal conditions.
2. If Class I, Div 2, what specific requirements are there for a single receptacle and the overhead light fixture if this is indeed a Class I, Division 2 area?
3. How could the receptacle be restricted so that only a laptop is connected?
4. Is laptop use allowed in a Class I, Div 2 area?

Thanks,
Joanie

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Ask you AHJ what standard he used to make the determination.
Also, this information is normally shown on the drawings, see 500.4 (A). Is there anything in Art 513 for your application?

Aircraft Shelters

These shelters were ordered as a kit and are to be constructed on the ramp. It was assumed that there would be no power, so my understanding is that no Classification was necessary. It was only later that the users decided to perform diagnostics under the shelter rather than on the ramp in the sun.

I am contacting AHJ, but have not heard yet.

Thanks for the help. I'll provide AHJ justification when I hear later today. It may be that he resolves the issue.

Joanie

Status
Not open for further replies.