A/C GFCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't the first time I wondered about this, but it is the first time I wondered about it while sitting in front of my pc looking through this forum. So I have an opportunity to ask someone.
Why are the manufacturers of cord connected ac's having to put gfci's on them?

TOOL_5150

That is not a gfci.

It is a Leakage-Current Detection and Interruption or LCDI. The cord is a special cord as well - not just a regular 3 core cable.

~Matt

Found this on Leviton's web site.

The AFCI products complement Leviton?s line of LCDIs (leakage current detection interrupters), which were introduced in 2005 to comply with a UL listing requirement that portable air conditioners manufactured after August 1, 2004, contain a factory-installed LCDI or AFCI device to reduce the risk of an arc fault in the unit?s power cord.

So why the concern about a window a/c power cord?

TOOL_5150

Found this on Leviton's web site.

The AFCI products complement Leviton’s line of LCDIs (leakage current detection interrupters), which were introduced in 2005 to comply with a UL listing requirement that portable air conditioners manufactured after August 1, 2004, contain a factory-installed LCDI or AFCI device to reduce the risk of an arc fault in the unit’s power cord.

So why the concern about a window a/c power cord?

Probably the same reason: contain a factory-installed LCDI or AFCI device to reduce the risk of an arc fault in the unit’s power cord.

~Matt

TOOL_5150

I would like to know that as well.

<sarcasm>
I think we should put AFCI's on every circuit in the house, have a GFI at the main, and GFCI every receptacle that comes close to something that can get moist. We need spec grade tamper-resistant, fire retardent, weather resistant receptacles everywhere. We should have to drive 4 ground rods, 1 at each corner of the house, and then bond everything "likely to be energized." Anything electrical located within 3 miles of a pool should require a passcode from an adult to activate - for our safety.

Thats what its all about... keeping us safe. We need to be protected, because we cant protect ourselvs. :roll:
</sarcasm>

end rant...

~Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.